Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

We are a 20 something couple with no children or pets
We live in a detached house with a small to medium sized grassed garden
We will install a dog door before adoption/buying a dog
We have experience with terriers
We both work 9-5 although one of us comes home for lunch every day for about 30 minutes.
We will take the dog out in the morning and for a longer walk after work
We will have longer walks at the weekend
It will need to be comfortable visiting family with a new baby and other terriers (Jack and Patterdale), approx twice a month

Any one have an idea on which dog would be a good fit?

We like the look of Pugs / Frenchies but they are so expensive and have health problems.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Health problems are the nature of the beast, no avoiding them.
If you're leaning towards the small-medium size, I might suggest a papillon. I used to be against them personally, but they're funny little buggers. Another terrier like you said could work as well as long as you can put up with their insane prey drive.
I personally suggest just going to a shelter and seeing what clicks. Like a retired greyhound even.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
One thing to keep in mind is that despite breed descriptions and proclivities, every dog is an individual and both nature and nurture contribute to the final dog personality. So agree with Firefox that you should see which dog 'clicks' with you, and an adult dog may be a better choice as far as picking out a personality that is in harmony with you and your household.

·
Registered
900 Posts
How about a Beagle. They are usually a pretty healthy breed as long as you keep them lean and not overweight. They are also an all around friendly breed in my experience. I also suggest an older one from a good rescue that has him in a foster home so they can tell you on more detail what the personality is like. A shelter is also a good option.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Definitely get an adult dog. Beagles are good like Timber said. Basset hounds are sweet as well if we're on the hound track! They're also usually laid back and friendly. Some terriers (except a JRT or Rat--too high energy) might do ok but I would reccomend an older one that's really mellow. Some terriers can have predispositions to dog reactivity and you don't want that. Also you can just go to a shelter and tell them what you want, you're probably going to be be able to find something that fits. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts