Dog Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you missed it, Mikey split his webbing between two toes last weekend. We've been keeping it bandaged and clean and he's been keeping it unbandaged and licked.

Hence I went to my mom's house and got a selection of E-collars(they have a few-Mandy, their dog, who's had cancer, is often ill since radiation and has a wardrobe of e-collars) and made him a 'sock' out of waterproof material. I am using elastic to keep it secure and so far it's working. :D (I outsmarted the dog!!! LOL)

So ...he's pouty....we've been doing short walks, but he hasn't got to go the dog park in over a week. He's pouting. He loves toys and we bought him a stuffed frog that's bigger then he is-he's ignoring it.

Suggestions to cheer him up-very welcome!!! Do you guys think we should risk it and take him to the dog park (risk it as in his sock and/or bandage could come off playing?)

·
Registered
37 Posts
That's a tough one. It's clear you dog wants to take walks like he used to. But you might hurt his paw if he walks too much.

Try playing with him for a while instead of letting him play wit his toys. But you probably do that anyway.

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We caved! We were trying to meet my parents for dinner and he wasn't going to let us leave. Too heart breaking-only a dog can make you feel like that! So we took him to the dog park and his sock stayed on-even so when we got home we cleaned and changed the dressings. He was ecstatic to go and he's forgiven us-so far :)

I wanted to try dog dates, but both his friends are out of town this weekend :( so dog park it was!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
first make sure the wound is having time to "breathe" it needs to be uncovered at times to heal. You are using neosporin or something similar right? How long ago? I didn't get to the thread about it yet sorry, but if its been a day or two it should be ok without a dressing on it.

As far as playing I don't think he will injure it anymore and it should be starting to scab enough for him to walk and run. I think he should be ok to go to the dog park and just check it occasionally to make sure it hasn't split open, clean it when you get home, let it dry/breathe, etc.

My aunts dog ripped the little extra pad with no nail that sits a couple inches above the foot open, please tell me you know what I am talking about LOL, and she just cleaned it and put some neosporin on it and let it be, it healed within days.

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yup it gets a few hours to breath inbetween redressing it.

We soak it in peroxide (whole foot goes in a cup of it) then neosporin and bandaging-actually we've been alternating between neosporin and this vet cream we have-Panalog (Eye, Skin & Ear Care - Panalog Ointment - Vet Meds for Pets) and he gets a sock I made him to keep it all dry when he goes outside :)

He's a total doll about the whole thing-sits very still for us to do our thing :)

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
I would probably just let it breathe while at home now and not use peroxide because soaking it is also softening it and not letting it harden and heel as quick :) just something I do personally, I believe wounds heal wonderfully on their own, obviously if Mikey starts licking at it redirect him.

Did you take him to the dog park yet? if so how did it go?

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Awwww You guys are going to make me sad!! Mikey only has four friends outside of dogpark and he'd love to meet your dogs!! Awww

Thanks all for your support :) And Pawz for your encourgament! I want to let it dry a bit more so tonight we left it nekid! I'm glad you agree with that!

Yes we did go to the dog park friday LOL Tomorrow my OH's mother's two chi's are coming over (the female likes mikey, the male is scared of everything!) and then obediance and at some point dog park for a bit :p So tomorrow he's ok. And today was lots of company too. But what a ruff week!!! No dog park for eight days!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts