Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some suggestions for which food to choose for my dog. He has allergies as well as a very sensitive stomach, so the food should be easy to digest, as natural as possible and fat content no higher than 15 %. I would prefer fish or salmon, since that seems to be the best source of protein for him and I would like to feed him both kibble and wet food so suggestions for both would be great. He is allergic to duck, soy, corn, carrot and potato, but I am not sure if that includes sweet potato as well ...
I was looking at Merricks, but unfortunately it contains potato. Other suggestions are more than welcome. He has developed an allergy towards the food he is eating now, so I have to find something new asap. Any advice/experience with food and allergies/sensitive stomach? Thanks!

·
Registered
455 Posts
Wow potatoes is a tricky allergy as many of the high end grain free foods include potato. Natural Balance has many w sweet potatoes if you find out that is an option. Zignature and Go are good suggestions too.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
562 Posts
Have you considered a raw fed diet? I have been doing a lot of reading on this lately, and am more convinced than ever that dogs are far more carnivorous than omnivorous.... and raw doesn't get more natural than that. Here's a site that explains this diet very thoroughly, including how to begin. Prey model raw means you'll be feeding meat/organs/bones, fish, and no vegetables.

For a dog with allergies/sensitivities like yours has, this might be the way to go.

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
I'm not sure if it meets all of your criteria but you should look into Earthborn Holistic. I've heard good things about it although I've never used it myself.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have you considered a raw fed diet? I have been doing a lot of reading on this lately, and am more convinced than ever that dogs are far more carnivorous than omnivorous.... and raw doesn't get more natural than that. Here's a site that explains this diet very thoroughly, including how to begin. Prey model raw means you'll be feeding meat/organs/bones, fish, and no vegetables.

For a dog with allergies/sensitivities like yours has, this might be the way to go.
I have been searching ALL over the internet for the link that you provided. THANK YOU!

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Yes, for a dog with both allergies and a sensitive stomach, I would highly recommend a raw diet. The raw form of a protein is very unlikely to stimulate and allergic reaction like the cooked form does (cooking changes to proteins and makes them much more allergenic). Raw food is also much easier on the digestive tract, and even a pre-ground commercial raw diet will not contain grains or potato.

Not sure why you are so concerned about keeping the diet low fat? Dogs need a diet that is higher fat, but good quality fats like the ones in real meat. Unless he has an actual case of pancreatitis, the fat content is not your main concern.

If you try a raw diet, you should get results quickly, like within a few days. The cells in the digestive tract heal up remarkably fast. Skin allergies usually heal up within about 3 weeks.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Have you gone to a vet. Are you sure that these are all allergies and not just intolerance to certain foods?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts