Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this on the Horse forum and got a ton of really great responses. But my fiance and I are still open to more ideas. Heres the original post from the other forum:

"My fiance and I want to get a dog of our own once this move is done and we are all settled in. We have the time, patience & money to safely have one. Our cat grew up around three hyper dogs (beagle, shi tzu, a shi tzu/ poodle respectively) so neither one of us are worried about how he'll react to one and we caught him more then one sleeping with those three. Plus hes front declawed so no puppy noses would be harmed if said pup gets over curious. We are going to look at breed rescues so no breeders will be looked at.
Now i know all the below is based on training and even the individual dog.

Here is what we are looking for:
~ breed know to be sociable, not timid
~ under 25lbs (current landlord requirments )
~ known to be easy to train (especially with house training)
~ maintenance doesnt matter ( we can handle the fluff/hair)
~ breed known to not be a barker/snippy ( I really dont want to be evicted)
~ Likes to go on walks in the park (how i wind down after work so nothing super stressful)
~ won't eat/chase our rat

Two we are looking at is Boston Terrier or Cavalier King Charles (any personal experiences with these breeds would be great.) Also any other breeds for us to research would be great."

Only things that have changed. Bostons and Cavalier are out. Poms and Papillon and on, though from what I have heard I'd rather the later. Also with our rat he's not allowed free roam. He's either perched on our shoulders, in his rabbit ball,or running on a sheet on our bed (with us sitting on it.) Another words he's not crawling on the floor and his cage is high up off the floor.

So any more input would be great. We are doing as much research as possible. Also willing to drive the distance to go to a rescue. Sorry for the long post

·
Registered
442 Posts
Oh ok.

"Not a barker" is probably your main criteria that you need to focus on with the apartment living. I lived over a cocker spaniel of some sort that barked. all. day. long. I lived near a beagle that howled all day one time too. The rat would rule out any terrier for me...many of the smaller ones were bred as ratters and it will drive them nuts to be in an apartment with one. I'm biased towards Shih Tzus so I would say try to find one of them :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
I like the idea of a papillon, especially if you consider training a bit more with the dog than just housetraining and basic manners. If you give the dog some mental stimulation, because they really are quite smart, they seem like great dogs to me!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts