Dog Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gotta love animals, they can never tell you what's wrong.

Just wanted to see if anyone else out there has had a similar experience.

2 nights within the last 2 weeks my pit mix has had insomnia. I would try to get the dog to lay down on his bed, which would work for a bit, then he would jump up real fast, and sprint away with his tail between his legs.. He looked very distraught and would pace back and forth, occasionally stopping to lick his hind legs. Panting non stop (plenty of water in his bowl).

No whimpering, or any noise whatsoever coming out of him. No sleep for either of us.

The first time it happened I took him to the vet, who said that it was probably his arthritis (he's around 14yo). "probably" does not sit well with me when looking into his pained eyes.

This morning (it happened last night) he walked right by his food bowl (which he never does) and sat at the farthest point of my yard.

The dog was diagnosed with lymphoma 6 months ago, but he is currently in remission.

We are trying to take a natural approach to his care now. He eats meat and veg only.

Well, I think that's about it. I just had him in the vet a week ago, so I was hoping to get some insight from the community before doing this again.

Thanks in advance.
Braden.

·
Registered
13,313 Posts
I would tend to suspect its either something that has scared him or its something to do with the lymphoma causing him pain somewhere. Perhaps it has metastised somewhere?

Sorry to hear of your dog's plight. Hope he has some good nights now in the time he has left with you. It's really hard when you know their days are numbered. :(

·
Banned
5,518 Posts
Often times neurological problems are confused with orthopedic problems... not saying that is necessarily the case here, but I think it is worth considering. The "licking his hind legs" thing sounds odd to me-- yes, it could indicate pain or discomfort but again- what is the source?

The pacing my dog did when she was 13-14 but I attributed it to dementia.

I suggest perhaps a second opinion. I know you're trying to go holistic now, but if your dog IS painful from the arthritis to the point where it is causing him to not be able to get comfortable, he probably needs some pain medication...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts