Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some advice on how to help my dog relax during bath time. I've read other blogs and posts on the subject but none seem to be explaining a dog with the same degree of fear for water. I have a 12 year old Border Aussie and she has always been an nervous dog. But when it comes to water she has a breakdown. She flips and turns and I try to hold her but she has given me many cuts and bruises trying to escape. She needs a bath so badly but it's such a stressful time for her... She's never been abused or hit she's just scared of everything (even water bottles...) any ideas so I don't hurt her or myself? Please!

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
This is just an idea: Buy a kiddie pool and put it in the back yard with just an inch of water. Get a package of hot dogs and slice them up. Throw 10 or so slices in. If she won't get them, say nothing, and later clean up the pool, but try it again the next day. I really do think that for something as yummy as a piece of hot dog (dogs seem to love those, they are smelly and delicious to them, I guess) that eventually she will step in and get them. Don't hurry the process, and add another inch of water at a time after she starts eating her treats, do this over a few weeks.
When you go to shampoo her, just start with a small section of her and hand feed lots of hot dog pieces. Patience and eventually I think she will be clean and maybe even happy to play in the pool.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I love this idea! I'm going to have to try it! It might be hard to keep my Lab out that loves water (and food) but maybe that will help her be curious about it. Thank you!

·
Registered
248 Posts
I'm not sure how you've been trying to give her a bath, but my dog is afraid of running water. So we put up a dog playpen outside, get a bucket of water, and I guess I kind of wash him like a car lol. I get a washcloth and soak it in the water, and then rub him down with the washcloth to get him wet. Then I lather the soap, and then I add more water with the washcloth until the soap is gone.

·
Registered
176 Posts
When I had to give my dog a bath, I did the same thing @Lucillle suggested. My dog doesn't love baths, she tolerates them. But I had to give her a bath in a kiddie pool and a hose, which she was afraid of.

Go slowly. Treat for really small steps. Such as getting one paw lifted about to go in the pool, 1 paw in the pool, 2 paws in, 4 paws in. Treat for cupping some water in your hand and rubbing it on her leg. Treat for (you) touching the hose, spraying it in the opposite direction for a short duration, long durations, spraying the hose next to your dog. treat for putting shampoo on too :D

lol, I'll stop there.. anyway.. this worked like a charm. Good luck! Hope this helps! Be patient! It could take anywhere from a few minutes to several days over a few different sessions.

·
Banned
283 Posts
We were in the same shape as some others here. The dog would tolerate having a bath. But he is a big chap and getting him in and out was a bit of a challenge.

He now goes to a professional groomer who does a much better job than we could. And he loves it, comes out smelling of roses.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
You could also try waterless/dry shampoo in the mean time.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Bath time

As far as I know Border Aussie should be bathe only if necessary, so it's better you bring him first to the pet salon for proper and watch how they've been bathing him and be taught to do so. But if you don't have the time yet to bring him there then take what Jenibelle said there 'cos it's a good strategy too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts