Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hahaha...can you imagine being paid to guess breeds? That'd be a fun job....

Anyway she for sure has a herding breed in her. She displays "the eye" which border collies use to stalk prey and will herd my cockatoo in circles. She has the drive and focus.

Shes built like a stocky JRT

Shes 22lbs. I'm guessing at least three breeds in her.

This is Emma....What ya'll think????

In the pink lol

Ears don't normally stand up lol

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
You know whats funny is I am really really good at some breeds but others I am baffled. And you have seen pics of Harvick, looks like a sheph mix right? lol will be posting those when I get home in the breed section.

Anywho, back to Emma, no traits of a beagle? In the pic of her in pink she just reminds me of a shiba inu to be honest LOL I told ya I suck!

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah we're stuck too... I've posted this on two ther forums over the years and same responce.

No beagle traits... terrier and herding traits...

Actually in the pic with her in the pink the dog on the right is a shiba/whippet...lol

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
HMMMMM I have no clue LOL. I thought the two looked similar in that pic where she is in pink. But all the other pics she looks like a sheph mix almost. Sometimes you just have to go off personality lol

·
Banned
112 Posts
Okay, Looking at the proportions of the dog I see some familiar traits from several different dog groups. I see some herding group characteristic features, I see a bit of Terrier group characteristic features and I see some hound group characteristic features.
If I were asked to guess (and I was) ;-)

My best guess judging from the look of the dog head on and the coloration which is dominant there is a hint of Sheltie (herding group), the barrel chest and stout proportions of the body hint at Jack Russel (Terrier Group), The feathering on the tail and the fold over tapered ears show a bit of smallish mountian region hound like a lundhund or a laphund (hound group). Now if you look at the paw pads which I can't see but just looking at the displacement of the fore-toes in relation to the toes sitting further back it would appear characteristic of a jackal which has the two fore-toes on both the front and rear paws webbed. And the only domestic dog that would display that same jackal like feature is the Basenji also from the (hound group).

·
Banned
112 Posts
So this in a nutshell is one very active mix, and a fun one at that. Does it table surf? Does it leap very high when it sees you? Does it get easily distracted by a small creature scurrying across the lawn or a leaf blowing across the street? Or does it constantly look for a scent and try to find the source of origin?

Oh and does it have webbed fore-toes at all?

·
Banned
112 Posts
One more thing. I see a bit of spitzer in this too. From the almost strait hocks, but that could just be because its lying on its side stretched out.

I'd call it the Heinz 57 toy dog. ;-)

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Does it table surf? Does it leap very high when it sees you?
Nope and nope. This dog came preprogramed for polite. lol...when I come home from work I do not even get a typical greeting...just a ball dropped at my feet.
Does it get easily distracted by a small creature scurrying across the lawn or a leaf blowing across the street?
She will kill a mouse if it runs, but I have chickens and tortoises that free range in my yard and she leaves them alone. If presented with a non running mouse she will fixate on it, but not go after it. :) She pretty much follows me around and watches me all.the.time. She is bombproof offleash and I can call her off a running rabbit, from far away in a full run without ever proofing for it.

Or does it constantly look for a scent and try to find the source of origin?
Sniffs alot outdoors...but doesn't fixate on a scent like say a beagle would, and will stay near me while sniffing. I can get her attention easily when she is sniffing.

Oh and does it have webbed fore-toes at all?
I just checked...nope !

:) :) :)

more photos if they help. http://www.dogforum.com/members/108/album/off-leash-training-session-54/

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Banned
112 Posts
Well there is definitely Sheltie. There is Definitely Jack since in your other pics the one of her jumping looks dead on like a jack and Now that I see the short stature.... possibly some type of corgi in there too which could also explain the tail and slightly long body.

It would possibly produce a dog with an extremely biddable nature who not only will herd but will protect. The Terrier would make a dog that would easily go to ground to course a rabbit or squirrel that allowed it to give chase and only when in chase mode. The Corgi would show a patient dog with a good instinct for when to turn on or off the chase reflex. The Sheltie makes for a good herding instinct and a loyal mode where it should follow you everywhere right on your heals. I love that when a dog does it.

I still see some kind of hound. But if its not scenting then it is a sight type of hound like a Basenji or a Jindo or possibly due to the stiffness and thickness of the tail it could be more like a harrier or foxhound, which love to give chase on the ground.

has you doggie ever treed a squirrel?

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well there is definitely Sheltie. There is Definitely Jack since in your other pics the one of her jumping looks dead on like a jack and Now that I see the short stature.... possibly some type of corgi in there too which could also explain the tail and slightly long body.
I have long felt she is sheltie/Jrt with som'thing else thrown in. I have suspected corgi but Iam unsure.

It would possibly produce a dog with an extremely biddable nature who not only will herd but will protect. The Terrier would make a dog that would easily go to ground to course a rabbit or squirrel that allowed it to give chase and only when in chase mode. The Corgi would show a patient dog with a good instinct for when to turn on or off the chase reflex. The Sheltie makes for a good herding instinct and a loyal mode where it should follow you everywhere right on your heals. I love that when a dog does it.
this is Emma. Very loyal, very eager to be with me, very trainable. Has a great on/off switch... if I move she moves, to the point its almost ridiculous... Lots of drive but lots of self control.

I still see some kind of hound. But if its not scenting then it is a sight type of hound like a Basenji or a Jindo or possibly due to the stiffness and thickness of the tail it could be more like a harrier or foxhound, which love to give chase on the ground.

has you doggie ever treed a squirrel?
There would need to be squirrels available..lol...

she herds my parrot in tight circles... never touching him :)

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Banned
112 Posts
I'm sorry to say it. But, I feel we've pretty much nailed it.

if she is a bit older, lets say 6 years old and hasn't displayed and genetic defects as of yet... I would expect her to live a very long and very happy life following you around and waiting for the perfect moment to spring into action. ;-)

Next time find her a squirrel and a nice tree.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I'm sorry to say it. But, I feel we've pretty much nailed it.

if she is a bit older, lets say 6 years old and hasn't displayed and genetic defects as of yet... I would expect her to live a very long and very happy life following you around and waiting for the perfect moment to spring into action. ;-)

Next time find her a squirrel and a nice tree.
shes pushing 9 or 10 and is one of the fastest dogs I've ever seen. :)

thanks for your imput.

might have to go out of state to find a squirrel AND a tree lol

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
My only comments are CUTE

And the stand up ears with tips drooping-sheltie :)

And CUTE!

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hahah thank you...she is actually the "ugly" dog...no one in real life ever acknowleges her. I've gotten a few "wow what a smart dog" comments before but most people assume she is male and she get no "what a pretty dog comments" like the others do :)

Even Chili (my avatar) who is downright funky looking gets "how handsome" comments.

:::shrugs::::

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Really?? I think she's a doll! And love this wittle white tipped feet!

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
o_O does Chili have a bird in her mouth?! lol.

LOL yes, he does...don't give him too much credit tho...he found it, didn't kill it....I've always traded him with treats when he has som'thing inapropriate....so he has begun to bring me wierd things to get a treat (im assuming)

so I was gardening and he came and showed me that he had found this dead bird. hahah he carried it around like that for about twenty minutes.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts