Dog Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short i moved into a place , and the tenant next door is trying to claim there allergic to my dog we aren't even in the same suite we are in separate suites that are side by side! , and my dog doesnt even shed my dog has a single-coat of fur so the shedding is little to non its not as bad as that of some dogs with the double coat , and i find it very odd after making numerous complaints about this tenant since moving in they want to now claim there allergic to my dog all of a sudden ... i would like to hear other peoples opinions on this and there advice on how to deal with this ....

·
Registered
15 Posts
I don't think he's reacting to your dog from next door. I think the reaction is from inhaling the dogs dander so he would have to be in contact with the dog in some way. I could be completely wrong though.

If he's telling the truth, as harsh as it sounds I don't see how thats your problem. If a neighbour told me that they where allergic to my dog I'd say sorry but I can't do anything about that.

Also if he's genuinely is suffering some kind of allergy, how does he know that it's from your dog?

·
Registered
911 Posts
It's normally the dander, not the fur that causes the allergic reaction. That said I can't see how your dog is setting off their allergies if they are not coming in contact with it. Don't worry about it, there is nothing they can do to you. You could always get them a box of allergy pills. I wouldn't even know what to say to them. Probably sorry and walk away.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The tenant is not in contact with my dog in any shape or form we live next to each other in two separate suites and what i find very interesting is he knew and seen i had a dog never said anything about being allergic to dogs or anything in till i started making complaints about him , and hes guests and loud music and drug use ... which of course i am going to address those things with my landlord and now that i have he is allergic to my dog now...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i am just concerned because i dont want to have to move but i believe this tenants intentions are to cause me to have to move because he is saying hes allergic to my dog which i think hes intentions are to cause me to have to move out but another thing like i said that i find very interesting is when i moved in he seen i had a dog never said anything to me or the landlord but now that i have made numerous complaints about him like i said hes allergic to my dog now... i find it very heart breaking that people go after peoples pets in these types of situations !

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yeah seems like he's just trying to start mess since you've reported him before. Allergic to a dog next door??? Yeah right!! Buy him some Allegra and tell him to chill.

Reactions: Zoe4413

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea i just wanted to get other peoples opinions on this and get some advice because i dont want to have to move because he is making up some story that hes allergic to my dog all of sudden out the blue because if i was allergic to dogs and seen a new tenant moving in with a dog i would be going straight to the landlord and telling the landlord i am allergic to dogs and another thing that i find interesting is he use to own a dog .... and hes stating he is fine with short haired dogs just not long haired dogs but like you guys stated in the comments above its not about the fur and how long it is right?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I think the lenghth of hair has little to do with it. I believe the more the dog sheds the worse it is as more dander is shed with it, but non shedding dogs still shed dander but not as much. This is just my understanding of it though I might be wrong.

If he had a dog before then the ammount of dander he would've been in contact with would far surpass the minimal (perhaps none) contact he'd of had from your dog. So either these allergies have recently developed or more likely he's just trying to cause a drama.

Not sure what is says on your tenancy agreement but I don't see how your landlord can even kick you out for that reason. He let you move there with your dog and I don't see how you or your dog can be held responsible for another persons medical problems.
Not sure what it's like over there but in the UK majority of rental accomadations don't even allow pets. If your neighbour has allergies he should have initially looked for a place that doesn't allow pets so this didn't become an issue in future.

If your landlord where to confront you with this I would say that you believe that he is doing this out of retaliation. That this has never been an issue previously and that you've seen no medical evidence that your dog is even the cause. I'd also explain that what he is saying is implausable as you have a non shedding breed and that the other tenant has no contact with the dog for the reaction to take place.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am waiting to speak to my landlord about this i just find this to be concerning and unfair to my dog and i this tenant is causing and creating issues and problems and making complaints that are untrue and attacking my dog for no reason.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Do you share a furnace? If so, it's totally possible, otherwise he's making stuff up!
It sounds like they are not even in the same building, but next to each other. But maybe I'm reading that wrong. I agree, it sounds like he's making it up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts