Dog Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.
This may or may not sound odd, but my 5 lb Girl (Chihuahua) is the center of our lives.
She goes everywhere with us, never goes a day without us hugging and kissing her to the point where we feel like we are the biggest pests in her life:D:D:D
She came to us at the age of 7 weeks by way of my daughter because the neighbor that has been breeding the mother and father recently had a litter of 3 with our girl being the runt, and no one wanted her. She is the most loving furbaby i've ever known.
No issues whatsoever, but i have become concerned over one passion of hers after reading up on the effects of floride.
What happens is this, i take a shower, shave and brush my teeth after coming home from work.
My girl goes nuts over the smell of the Crest toothpaste, and demands a licking session to her content.
Now what concerns me is whether or not i am harming her?
This is allowed on a daily basis, but maybe once every other week,

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does she lick your teeth?

I'd be more concerned for your health then hers...
LOL....ordinarily i would agree.
With her we wipe her after every potty trip, she stays in the house and eats like a princess............never does any of the lick thy self routines.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i get all the smilies........what i am after though is whether or not i am causing her any harm by licking the toothpaste flavoring off my face which she enjoys.
At this point in life i am not concerned with any harm to myself.
I have fallen so in Love with this one that i'll pretty much go along with whatever makes her happy.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I can't imagine it is any good for her, especially if it's every day. If you used some natural toothpaste it would be better perhaps? I know they make doggy toothpaste so you could try that lol!

EDIT: no, don't try it!

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Liking small amounts of toothpaste off your face once every other week probably doesn't expose her to much more fluoride than she gets from drinking tap water.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Liking small amounts of toothpaste off your face once every other week probably doesn't expose her to much more fluoride than she gets from drinking tap water.
I rinse my mouth completely........it's the smell that attracts her. However, the more i research Flouride and it's affects i will have to put a stop to this.
Tonight i just popped a Root Beer ball in mouth mouth and she went nuts......Only for a few licks though.
I am so nuts about this little lady.
I give her bottled water only and selected from a list of known brands that have no flouride in them.

I really appreciate all your replies here........very nice of you all to bring this Dad to his senses.

·
Registered
82 Posts
My girl goes nuts over the smell of the Crest toothpaste, and demands a licking session to her content.
Now what concerns me is whether or not i am harming her?
This is allowed on a daily basis, but maybe once every other week,
This is crazy. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely adore my dogs, they are my whole world and I couldn't imagine life without them both BUT I still like to treat them like dogs so they don't think they rule the roost. They are spoilt - within reason.
Your dog 'demands a licking session on a daily basis' - I cant comprehend this.

I think you have an unhealthy relationship with your pooch:eek:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is crazy. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely adore my dogs, they are my whole world and I couldn't imagine life without them both BUT I still like to treat them like dogs so they don't think they rule the roost. They are spoilt - within reason.
Your dog 'demands a licking session on a daily basis' - I cant comprehend this.

I think you have an unhealthy relationship with your pooch:eek:
I guess i should clarify.......it has not ever been on a "daily" basis...........only on the rare occasion that i get near her on a Saturday or Sunday when i am around the house because i am not working.
I do respect your thoughts tho:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I give her bottled water only and selected from a list of known brands that have no flouride in them..
Well most of the rest of us don't and our dogs are fine. Flouride is toxic in much larger quantities than she'll get from occasionally licking a tiny bit of toothpaste.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well most of the rest of us don't and our dogs are fine. Flouride is toxic in much larger quantities than she'll get from occasionally licking a tiny bit of toothpaste.
Here in California i won't even use the water to wash my old pickup:D, let alone drink it........it's nasty tasting.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts