Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog may be at the least, sensitive to her present food. She has been getting this food for about a year and it seems to be bothering her more and more as she is taking less steroids. Rubbing her face after eating, licking the tops of her front paws and sometimes chewing front feet between the toes. She also verbalizes discomfort after eating, even when eating just 2 or 3 ounces.

So I want to start looking into some options. We may never get to the point that she can handle a change in food but I still want to see whats out there.

- It must have low fat (6% or less) dry or dry analysis

- NO chicken (highly allergic to chicken)

- Very few if any oils (she has had GI bleeds and oils seem to aggravate that plus she has not been able to handle fish and vegetable oils)

- She vomits rice so maybe a grain free would be something to try

Anyone know of any food that meets the above criteria?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
10,820 Posts
I'm thinking that something like The Honest Kitchen, may be the best for her.

The Honest Kitchen https://www.chewy.com/honest-kitchen-preference-dehydrated/dp/34266

With The Honest Kitchen you can control how much fat you add, the base mix has 6% fat per cup and if your dog is toy sized then she'll only need around 1/4 of the base mix, so it shouldn't have to worry about making sure the meat is competely fat free. Best part is you can play around with the meat and see which she does best on.

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
Mentioned it before, and i'll mention it again - research raw whole food as an indication for lupus - thats for people and dogs.

Your concern over fat would surround the pancreas - but it's the content of "cooked" fat in kibble. Raw fat is much different. Kibble itself can put alot of stress on the organs - but raw allows you to feed organs such as pancreas.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts