Dog Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok title sums it up. she wants to put a shock color on her pit mix for training. And i told her she was a freaking nut that she need to get pro help for her dog or at least try positive training.

Here is the thing her dog is one she rescued after it was hit by a car the dog only has three legs. So the problem is she has a HUGE DA if they are waling her and the other dog (that has been attacked by this dog and now just stays away from her) and they see another dog she will go crazy and get out of the harness (cause its not made for a dog with only one front leg) she will then run to the other dog and attack it not breaking the skin (yet) but mauling it to the point of bruises. then if my SIL makes a grab for her she will snap and scratch her. She thinks that if she puts the shock color on her and when she makes that first lunge shock her it will teach her to not do it. Correct me if i am wrong PLEASE but would that not just cause more agression toward the the object she is focused on? My goal with this post is to show her that there are differnt methods and opinons that can be used in a positve way. I was over there on sat. and when she went crazy over a cat (she tried to pull it through a fence hole) I told her NO and said her name stern but not mean and she came to me she then wanted to go back after the cat and i said no leave it and when she did gave her a treat. tell me is this a better way? Please i need help before she does something that triggers the dog to be more agressive.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
. Correct me if i am wrong PLEASE but would that not just cause more agression toward the the object she is focused on? .

It definetly can... The goal is to have the dog avoid the object in the future by shocking them at a high level... it can simply scare the bejeezus out of them, so they avoid it...... OR the dog will think whatever its looking at is hurting them so they wig out more...

I have used a collar to create avoidance, but never to create an avoidance towards som'thing the dog is reactive too...thats simply asking for the dog to become MORE reactive IMO

But yes, there are more positive ways, and there is alot of prevention and management in the begining, but I have a feeling your SIL wont want to hear it until shes ruined her dog with the collar...its so much harder to use correctly than people realize. :(

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i think its going to take me going over there with a trainer that i know that rehabs pitties god i hope she listens cause i dont want the dog to become another "bad dog" when its once again the owner that is dumb butt

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
I do not know how to use a shock collar but can only imagine that shocking a dog while it is in process to attack will NOT help the situation. They may need to consider using a collar/leash along with a harness/leash. If the dog is getting out of its harness they are not using it correctly. I hope it works out :( Do they ask you at all for advice? Or does your brother stand by you when it comes to training? If not, I doubt his wife will care about your 2 cents, unfortunately.

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
The best way to approach someone you don't agree with, especially when they are family and
a) you need to continue to coexist with this person again
and b) things can heat up because you aren't strangers

is to really keep your cool!

If you want to steer her in another direction, calmly list why you don't agree and point out things she will agree with -like for instance shock collars can be expensive-more so then one session with a behaviorist. You could also point out videos on youtube of people using shock collars to show why you don't agree with them.

Also make her realize that she *has* to deal with this effectively and soon, or she's going to have BIG vet bills coming her way.

Be suggestive, informative-concerned and helpful. Do not be pushy, angry, upset or judgy (not a word but you know :) )

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
i think that bringing a neutral party into the situation may help to get through. if you can get a trainer to help her out that would be really awesome. i also think that the quickest fix here is a muzzle until the SIL figures out how she is going to deal with the issue long term.
good luck with this, these situations can get sticky pretty fast.....

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
GOOD news she listened to my friend last night thank god.
BAD news it was only after her husband said he would leave her (cause he got bit in the face while trying to play with the other dog) one good thing is my friend said there is hope. I am willing to foot part of the training bill (donation to pit rescue) and i think that helped a lot to cause they saw i was not just being a know it all but truly care for the dog.

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
That's great news!!! Keep us posted on how it goes :)

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
GOOD news she listened to my friend last night thank god.
BAD news it was only after her husband said he would leave her (cause he got bit in the face while trying to play with the other dog) one good thing is my friend said there is hope. I am willing to foot part of the training bill (donation to pit rescue) and i think that helped a lot to cause they saw i was not just being a know it all but truly care for the dog.
wow:D that is so cool of you! definately keep us posted on this.....

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
update on gracie

She is doing well with the trainer and guess what??? She knows leave it!!!! i brought Noel over and being that we went for a swim she laid down and passed out and they walked gracie by her over and over and now you can say leave it and she does!!! she is now more focused on what her handler wants then what is going on around her I will admit we had to resort to really good treats (cut up hot dogs) but the future is looking great. On a side note me and my husband are starting to vol. at a no kill shelter and work with the dogs there to help make them more " adoptable" Like teaching them sit, shake ect and we are taking Noel with a small donation vest with us when they do the adoptions at the petsmart. All in all i think sept. is looking great

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
GREAT news!! Thanks for the update :) Leave it is such a valuable thing for them to learn :)

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
wow, that is awesome.....i'm so glad this is working out for gracie....good job, it is so cool that you were willing to step in and help out like that! and i love volunteer work you are doing too...

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
update

will get pics i hope this weekend gracie is doing well and so far no more attacks have happened!! We have also got gracie a job hehehe she now plays dead when the door to their side of the house is opened (helps with keeping her from being "agressive" to anyone coming inside) The trainer is a godsend and i really got to give it to her she really loves the breed and dogs over all. Noel earned a wopping $26.37 at the last petstore adopt a thon not much but hey it helps. Also it helped to adopt out a hound/pit mix that looked more hound like when people saw that my big drooly dog made a great house pet. Sister in law now has the vet she works for donating spay/neuter for so many dogs for the rest of the year the new owners just have to bring them in for a free follow up visit.

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
wow, that is so cool! and the playing dead when the door opens...hilarious, and genious! what is the name of the group that trainer is working for? just curious if they have a website....

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
its a panhandle pit rescue that works with the junior human society of pensacola FL. she also teaches a few private classes. I will find out what their name is and if they have a site if they dont that might be a nice Christmas gift to them from my brother in law who is a web designer. The dead dog trick really is working great i never thought that would work and she would keep doing it but so far it has cant wait to see how she does on her first meet and great with noel not laying doing snoozing.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts