Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since what happened with Ellie (she got taken away by police on false pretences) i am terrified of leaving her alone.
I keep reading everywhere that samoyeds are not supposed to be left alone and even though i know she can handle it i get anxious just thinking about leaving her alone.
Since she came back i haven't even left her alone to even go to the local shop for ten minutes.

I need some reassurance. Because i know its not healthy to never let a almost six month old pup be alone. I want her to not develop separation anxiety when she gets older and now I'm afraid she will.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Could you film her while you go out for a few minutes? just leave a camera running then you will be able to see how she reacts .
I'm sure she will be fine and you will be reassured she is ok while you are out. :)

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
I remember reading what happened to you and your dog - I'd be nervous too!

I agree, maybe a camera of some kind would be helpful? I don't know if such a thing exists, but perhaps an alarm that you can put at the entrance of your apartment that will alert you via phone if someone enters? That way, at least, you could keep an eye on your dog and know instantly if someone raids your place again. I have to run to work, so I cannot research products, but I'm sure there is something similar to that that could potentially even send you phone alerts and keep you in the know.

I wish you the best of luck!

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
I was also going to suggest video monitoring her while you are out. You'll know how she's behaving, you'll be able to see exactly what's going on while you are gone, and you'll have a leg to stand on if anyone ever again tries to take her like that. If she's well behaved in your absence you'll have proof, and if she's acting up you can quickly work on the problem so no one will have cause to take her.

I just found this site, it shows some that will stream the video to your cell phone so you can check on her while you are away. http://www.techhive.com/article/2099500/keep-an-eye-on-your-home-with-these-two-ridiculously-simple-surveillance-apps.html

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you so much for your answers :)
I take a look at any type of recording method i can get my hands on!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Also when you leave the house don't say goodbye and make a big deal about it. that was makes it hard on the dogs. I suggest take a kong fill it was peanut butter or pumpkin, freeze it and then before you leave give it to her and walk out the door. Then she is occupied for some of the time you are gone.

·
Registered
108 Posts
There is great advice here!

I will say though, if you never ever leave here alone, she is more likely to develop separation anxiety when you eventually HAVE to leave her alone (such as an emergency situation or something).

I would recommend doing alone training to prevent possible separation anxiety. And it is great to use something such as a recording device or a wifi surveilance camera in this training so you can guage her comfort level while you are working with her.

The most crucial part of alone training is not making a big deal of coming and going. This usual means coming and going like nothing is happening (ie ignoring her and just leaving, coming back and not engaging immediately) this gives a dog the idea that you coming and going is commonplace. Nothing to be interested in or concerned about.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts