Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I just got a new mixed breed two year old female (2 days ago). She's about 15 lbs, prob a cocker spaniel/Chihuahua mix. She used pads at her old house. They said she would go outside but so far she only marks outside and waits to really pee until she comes in. I have another female Chihuahua who is already house broken.

I've been taking them out first thing in the morning, after meals, and in the evening. Prob like 5 times today lol

I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions for how I can prompt her to pee outside. I've been rewarding her when she marks but I'm not sure that is helpful. I read that you can wipe their bottom with a wet towel (like their mom would lick their behind to help them go when they were puppies.) Any suggestions would be so appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
3,593 Posts
Hi Clsdoggs,

Welcome to the Dog Forum! This thread is filled with very helpful techniques, both for puppies and for rescue dogs:

Since you've just brought home your new dog, I'd like to recommend that you get a hold of this book:

Even though you already have another dog, I think you may still find it helpful.

Lastly, I think you're wise to keep an eye on your female Chihuahua so that she doesn't revert in her own toileting.

Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
10,737 Posts
I went ahead and moved your thread to this forum as it's more appropriate and you'll get more help in in.

First I'd take her to the vet to rule out any medical issues that may be causing her to potty in the house.

Once she's cleared you need to treat her like you would a puppy, and SusanLynn linked you to a great resource on how to do that. Basically what you are trying to do is eliminate opportunities for her to make mistakes, and heavily rewarding her the second that she potties outside.

Another thing is to make sure that she's actually finished pottying before bringing her back in. You may need to give her time to potty 2 or 3 times in order to ensure that her bladder is empty. If you think that you've brought her in before she's empty then do not give her any freedom in the house, wait around 5 to 10 min, then bring her back out to try again.

·
Registered
98 Posts
First, take a pad that she has soiled and put it outside near the area that you want her to learn to go. Every time you take her out (always on a leash - never free roam) bring her to that pad. Dogs like to go where they went before (hence the soiled pad - and why housebreaking can be a challenge once a dog starting doing it in the house) - and they like to pee on the same type of thing they are used to (be it grass or pads - my pup was used to doing it on newspapers so I always left soiled newspapers in the area where I wanted him to go - I reduced the amount of newspapers as time went on but he still would try to do it on the smallest piece he could find until eventually he started going on the ground near the papers). Even if she starts to go outside, keep a 'freshly soiled' pad outside until she stops using the pads in the house.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts