·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help!!!!!
My service dog was trained to use puppy pads to do her business
when she was a puppy. But now all of a sudden she does her business
wherever she is. I can't tolerate that!! She also trys to bite
everyone but me!! Any ideas on how to stop both behaviors.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Where did you get her and how old is she?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Help!!!!!
My service dog was trained to use puppy pads to do her business
when she was a puppy. But now all of a sudden she does her business
wherever she is. I can't tolerate that!! She also trys to bite
everyone but me!! Any ideas on how to stop both behaviors.
Dear lord where did you go to get her?

Sudden bathroom changes generally warrant a vet visit to make sure it isn't a health issue. Otherwise relatively easy to train.

No SD trainer worth anything lets a dog with behavior issues (the snapping/biting) go through. That is a completely intolerable behavior for a Service Dog and is something a dog would be washed out of a program for. Immediately. Any dog with behavior problems is not and should never become a Service Dog.

·
Registered
159 Posts
If your dog is snapping at and biting people and going to the bathroom wherever she wants she is not a service dog. I'd have some questions for whoever trained her and I'd stop calling her a service dog and taking her places where dogs aren't allowed immediately. A bite lawsuit from a dog you call a service dog is going to create a whole host of new problems for you that you just don't need.

What kind of dog is she? How old is she? Is the biting new or did something set it off?

·
Registered
3 Posts
The poo issue - She needs a vet visit as she may have a UTI. The biting is a protection/ possessiveness issue, which may have surfaced because she doesn't feel well. (Again, possible UTI). Going to the bathroom "anywhere" in the house is how animals say, "I don't feel well." Cats do the same thing.
BTW, another way to break the dog of biting is to keep her socialized with other people and dogs. i.e., take her to the dog park.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I don't think it's a good idea to take a dog that is biting/snapping to a dog park. They are not good places to socialize because you have no control. But a SD should already be socialized and trained. I think that is the bigger issue here.

Reactions: Grabby and HaydenK

·
Registered
3 Posts
I don't think it's a good idea to take a dog that is biting/snapping to a dog park. They are not good places to socialize because you have no control. But a SD should already be socialized and trained. I think that is the bigger issue here.
=====

You're absolutely correct. I wrote the message incorrectly.
I should've said LACK of socialization might be another cause of the dog's biting. One way to keep the dog socialized is visiting dog parks, but it wouldn't be a good a idea now, since the dog clearly has unexplained issues.
Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
You need help from a professional. Consult with a force free trainer. Keep the dog from practicing the biting behavior until you've consulted with a professional and have a behavior modification program in place.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts