Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, this is my first post here for my son Bruno (yellow lab) he is now 2 yes old and was very stubborn dog from start but lately he is givung so much trouble,
1. He was not a social dog , rarely met any dog bt was very NYC with people but now he is so aggressive always barking on others and on us also.
He don't let us touch his collar and bite us if we do .
2. He don't eat on his own , my mom has to hand feed him all d tym and we get but also while doing that.
We lobe him very very much bt are very horrified.
Please help.
Apology for such long post

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Hi all, this is my first post here for my son Bruno (yellow lab) he is now 2 yes old and was very stubborn dog from start but lately he is givung so much trouble,
1. He was not a social dog , rarely met any dog bt was very NYC with people but now he is so aggressive always barking on others and on us also.
He don't let us touch his collar and bite us if we do .
2. He don't eat on his own , my mom has to hand feed him all d tym and we get but also while doing that.
We lobe him very very much bt are very horrified.
Please help.
Apology for such long post
Hello! Welcome :) hope I can help a bit!

First question I have is when did you get Bruno? What age? Do you know his history? Where did he come from?

Secondly, is this a new behavior? How long has this been going on - did it just happen out of nowhere? If so there could very well be a medical issue. I would have a vet look at him first if this is new.

Thirdly, you say he won't let you touch his collar. That's very specific - is there a reason you're aware of? Have you mishandled his collar in the past? (ie grabbed him forcefully or yanked/pulled at his fur collar or skin around his neck) Have you ever hit him in the face or do you know if he's been hit in the face?

When you say he barks at others, what situations is he in? Is he barking when you're walking around, or is it when he's inside or in the yard? When does he bark at you?

A video demonstrating some of his behavior would be extremely helpful.

For aggression I always reccomend contacting a positive based behaviorist / trainer.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello! Welcome :) hope I can help a bit!

First question I have is when did you get Bruno? What age? Do you know his history? Where did he come from?

Secondly, is this a new behavior? How long has this been going on - did it just happen out of nowhere? If so there could very well be a medical issue. I would have a vet look at him first if this is new.

Thirdly, you say he won't let you touch his collar. That's very specific - is there a reason you're aware of? Have you mishandled his collar in the past? (ie grabbed him forcefully or yanked/pulled at his fur collar or skin around his neck) Have you ever hit him in the face or do you know if he's been hit in the face?

When you say he barks at others, what situations is he in? Is he barking when you're walking around, or is it when he's inside or in the yard? When does he bark at you?

A video demonstrating some of his behavior would be extremely helpful.

For aggression I always reccomend contacting a positive based behaviorist / trainer.
first of all , thank you so much for replying.
1. We got him when he was 35 days old, he has a short tail breeder said its not because of accident but genetic.
2. For this behavior I am completely responsible , He was a very scared dog from begining but he was obedient (extremely) and was showing excellent growth but when he was around 1 year I had to move out due to work and when i returned I saw this new bruno

In that mean time , he got bit by a street dog also ( Medicated immediately) received very little excercise and was made to believe he is the alpha.

3. I am very sorry to say but yes, i used to grab him by his collar when i punished him ( made to sit alone for 5 mins) .

I taught him many tricks but he dont do anything now , When i take him out he just leave me there and go back to home.

I am fully dedicated to him now and after 3 months I have to move out again.
Please help me out .

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
first of all , thank you so much for replying.
1. We got him when he was 35 days old, he has a short tail breeder said its not because of accident but genetic.
2. For this behavior I am completely responsible , He was a very scared dog from begining but he was obedient (extremely) and was showing excellent growth but when he was around 1 year I had to move out due to work and when i returned I saw this new bruno

In that mean time , he got bit by a street dog also ( Medicated immediately) received very little excercise and was made to believe he is the alpha.

3. I am very sorry to say but yes, i used to grab him by his collar when i punished him ( made to sit alone for 5 mins) .

I taught him many tricks but he dont do anything now , When i take him out he just leave me there and go back to home.

I am fully dedicated to him now and after 3 months I have to move out again.
Please help me out .
You're welcome :)

First of all, if he's now showing aggression towards humans within the span of time you left and came back, I would say there's a high likelihood he was mistreated by whoever he was with, or something happened to cause fear for humans in him. When he barks at you, what situations is it? What brings it on? Are his hackles raised, is he snarling, does he appear scared? Is his tail tucked?

I want to note that alpha/pack order between humans / dogs has been widely disputed as false outdated information, so I don't think this stems from any of that. I think it rather stems from lack of confidence and fear

I am also guilty of the sharp collar grab, but stopped doing that and had to retrain and fix the issue because the dog I had at the time began running away when I approached and they knew they were going to get in trouble, instead of allowing me to retrieve them because they knew what was coming. She also refused to come back to me when I was calling her.

It's likely Bruno was grabbed painfully and is now fearful that you're going to harm him when you reach for his collar.

The reason he isn't listening to you could stem from mistrust between him and humans. I really think something happened to him when you were gone.

Your best bet would be to contact a good positive based behaviorist and ask for help. It's good yore dedicated, and a behaviorist will be able to help you out the most efficiently. :)

When you move, would it be possible to take him? 3 months may not be time to rehabilitate a fearful dog.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Most if the things you said are true but when I am not here he us with my mom and get very nice care but very little to no excercise .
He shows aggression towards on some same scenarios,
If I try to take his toy from him he start growling.
Or if I show him my hand , lyk I'll slap him he growls,
And he is so innocent that even while growling he will lay down on back and give us his hand so that we rub his belly.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I'm a bit confused at the behavior you're explaining because a dog who is growling out of aggression or fear wouldn't show their belly. Does he growl when you pull the toy away from him? What kind of bodily expression does he show? It could be resource guarding and it could also be play growling. Both are very different things and as I said a video would be extremely helpful.

Also I'm confused - are you saying you slap him or are you saying he acts like you're going to slap him?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He jus BIT me , I was feeding him biscuits and when I tried to push him off the bed he bit me and instantly started showing his belly,
He growls for resource guarding , I am sure of that.
If I make a video of all 4-5 cases when he growls , will u be kind enough to watch and gibe me your inputs?
I have found a ray of hope in thus forum .
Thank u

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
He jus BIT me , I was feeding him biscuits and when I tried to push him off the bed he bit me and instantly started showing his belly,
He growls for resource guarding , I am sure of that.
If I make a video of all 4-5 cases when he growls , will u be kind enough to watch and gibe me your inputs?
I have found a ray of hope in thus forum .
Thank u
I would be very happy to help you out with a video if you're willing and it would be helpful to see exactly what's going on, but I don't want to egg you on to get bit again or further agitate the dog. If you're comfortable making a video that's your call, but I think it's in your best interest to contact a behaviorist as even after seeing the video, all I can give you is advice - I can't fix the problem.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, I'll make one and will upload in 1-2 days I don't want to risk getting bit.
One more thing I want to add he usually sits below a bed or in a corner and we r not supposed to touch him dere or surely we will get bit.
Rest I'll make a video and thank you again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts