Dog Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have a 2 year old female Bichon Frise, 6 year old male Bichon Frise and a 13 year old female cockapoo. None of the 3 are totally housetrained. When they are out of their crates they will sneak out of sight and go potty in the house no matter how many times I let them out. I try to keep them with me while I am working because if I leave them in their crates the male will start barking and will not stop until I let them out. When they are with me they are pleasant but like I said they will not tell me when they need to go outside and will just sneak away to do their business. The worst of the 3 is our 3 year old and 6 year old. The "baby" learned from our 6 year old and so forth. I just do not know what to do with them anymore as they are totally ruining the carpet in my office.

I need help desperately!!

Glenn

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
You have to make some choices here. Crate training adult dogs does not take long. I suggest you crate train them. If they bark, ignore them- if you let them out when they bark, you are training them to bark. If that makes you anxious, there are sound blocking earphones you can buy.

Crate training dogs should be either in their crates inside, on a leash inside with you actually watching them, or outside. It will be a lot of effort for 3 dogs, but my older puppy who had previously lived outside with her previous family was house trained in a week.

·
Banned
283 Posts
And I still don't get the crate/cage thing.
Maybe we just got lucky with our rescue dog.
I'm sure I could if I wanted to but I see no reason to cage him.

·
Banned
283 Posts
How old was your dog when you got him?
Was he housetrained at all?
We were told he was a year old as judged by the vet. He was picked up as a stray so we have no history. We think probably younger.

House trained? More or less. Just a few little accidents but we are over that now.
We've had him now for about a year and a half. It's been an investment in time and patience but the rewards.......

·
Registered
442 Posts
We were told he was a year old as judged by the vet. He was picked up as a stray so we have no history. We think probably younger.

House trained? More or less. Just a few little accidents but we are over that now.
We've had him now for about a year and a half. It's been an investment in time and patience but the rewards.......
He may have been crate trained a bit before you got him
I think of crate training as supervising them, it's not sticking them in there for hours and hours and hours. I only use the crate when I can't watch

·
Registered
433 Posts
We simply don't know. But I'd never heard of crates here in UK. And i still don't get it,
Not much to understand. A dog will not pee/poo in its own bed. If a dog is left in a crate, it will learn to hold it until the dog is let out and shown where to use the bathroom. Its this repetitive structure that shows a dog where its acceptable to use the bathroom and where its not. Once the dog has that down, its usually not necessary to crate a dog. Personally, the weather is such in my area and my dogs are small enough that we have a room where we use "potty pads" and allow our dogs to use the bathroom in that spare room on the pads. My dog sleeps in my bed and my daughter's dog sleeps in her bed and neither of them have ever had an accident. Our older dog pretty much trained the puppy where to use the bathroom.

If your dog is using the bathroom where you want it to, then consider yourself lucky.

·
Banned
283 Posts
Really? I just did a search on U.K. crate training and got a lot of hits on a U.K. Pet forum. I believe you though, maybe it's not as common
I don't know how common it is. Not very I should think. I grew up with dogs. On a daily basis we meet lots of people with their dogs. But crates?

And I still don't get it.
We do have a crate/cage but we got it for when it is mandatory for travel. It hasn't been used and I can't think of any reason why we would. Other than for travel.

Even then we went to Scotland, over 1100 miles with the dog in the car, stayed in hotels, a cottage, and no crate/cage. As I said, I just don't get it.

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
I don't know how common it is. Not very I should think. I grew up with dogs. On a daily basis we meet lots of people with their dogs. But crates?

And I still don't get it.
We do have a crate/cage but we got it for when it is mandatory for travel. It hasn't been used and I can't think of any reason why we would. Other than for travel.

Even then we went to Scotland, over 1100 miles with the dog in the car, stayed in hotels, a cottage, and no crate/cage. As I said, I just don't get it.
A lot of people use a crate for housetraining the puppy, If the owner does not have another way to confine the puppy, and cannot be with it watching it, then the crate is a convenient place to confine the puppy so it does not get into the habit of pottying in the house.

If a dog has separation anxiety and destroys things due to it's anxiety, and I know some cases where the dog has destroyed door and window frames, not to mention hurting their self in the process. A crate can be a way to keep the dog, and house, safe. Some dogs are actually calmer in the crate then they are loose in the house.

If a dog injures it's self and is required to be on strict crate rest it goes a lot easier if the dog has been crate trained and actually doesn't mind being in the crate.

If the dog needs to be kenneled, either at a kennel or the vet, it's easier on the dog if it's crate trained.

If a person needs to crate the dog in order to travel with it, like on an airplane, then it's best for the dog if it's been crate trained.

A lot of dogs actually view the crate as a den and will willingly go in it to rest if they have been crate trained, and some people with kids will teach the dog and kids that that's the dog's resting place and when the dog is in it's crate it's not to be bothered.

Those are the reasons I can think of off the top of my head, but I'm sure there are more.

Reactions: brnewman

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
Hi all,

I have a 2 year old female Bichon Frise, 6 year old male Bichon Frise and a 13 year old female cockapoo. None of the 3 are totally housetrained. When they are out of their crates they will sneak out of sight and go potty in the house no matter how many times I let them out. I try to keep them with me while I am working because if I leave them in their crates the male will start barking and will not stop until I let them out. When they are with me they are pleasant but like I said they will not tell me when they need to go outside and will just sneak away to do their business. The worst of the 3 is our 3 year old and 6 year old. The "baby" learned from our 6 year old and so forth. I just do not know what to do with them anymore as they are totally ruining the carpet in my office.

I need help desperately!!

Glenn
You'd do best to say that none of them are housetrained, because that's how you are going to have to treat them in order to break their habit of pottying in the house.

First off think of how you want to confine them when you cannot have your eyes on them. A few things you can try is tethering them to you, or near you. Putting them in an exercise pen on some type of hard floor, it can't be carpet or they may pee. Crating them.

Now that you know how they are going to be confined, you need to start over with a clean floor and carpet. Get yourself a black light (urine glows under a black light), wait till it's dark out, turn out all the lights, and go over all your floor with the black light, mark each place that glows so that you know where to clean. Next clean all the spots you marked with an enzyme cleaner that is designed to break down urine and feces odor, WalMart sells PetOut and most pet shops sell Natures Miracle. Follow the direction on the bottle of cleaner.

Now follow the directions in this thread to housetrain them http://www.dogforum.com/housetraining/house-training-how-tos-2135/

Reactions: brnewman

·
Banned
283 Posts
A lot of people use a crate for housetraining the puppy, If the owner does not have another way to confine the puppy, and cannot be with it watching it, then the crate is a convenient place to confine the puppy so it does not get into the habit of pottying in the house.

If a dog has separation anxiety and destroys things due to it's anxiety, and I know some cases where the dog has destroyed door and window frames, not to mention hurting their self in the process. A crate can be a way to keep the dog, and house, safe. Some dogs are actually calmer in the crate then they are loose in the house.

If a dog injures it's self and is required to be on strict crate rest it goes a lot easier if the dog has been crate trained and actually doesn't mind being in the crate.

If the dog needs to be kenneled, either at a kennel or the vet, it's easier on the dog if it's crate trained.

If a person needs to crate the dog in order to travel with it, like on an airplane, then it's best for the dog if it's been crate trained.

A lot of dogs actually view the crate as a den and will willingly go in it to rest if they have been crate trained, and some people with kids will teach the dog and kids that that's the dog's resting place and when the dog is in it's crate it's not to be bothered.

Those are the reasons I can think of off the top of my head, but I'm sure there are more.
Good response. Thank you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi I'm new on here and in the UK. We have a 4 month old Pomeranian who we are struggling to housetrain also. She seems to be doing it by the food bowls we have a 1 year old chichuahua cross I think she is trying to be dominant and eat his food . This morning she had a wee outside at 7 I took her out again 30 mins later she did another wee inside on the carpet (away from food bowls) we have a crate which sometimes she will wee in. A few nights ago she had a bit of an episode just got up from sleeping weed in the house took her out she did about 2 weeks and altogether must of been about 6/7 wees in 10/15 min but through the night was fine and ok the next day. Any ideas appreciated thanks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts