Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have an 8 month old puppy, her name is Marley. The people who had her before us said she is lab/golden retriever mix and I honestly don't think so and neither does my vet but I can't afford a DNA test. I want to get the most accurate guess though because I'm going to use her breed characteristics to help aid me in what type of training would be best for her. So here are some pictures from my Facebook

11666244_1442517386072945_2716568541939954549_n.jpg

20150808_101334.jpg

20150820_145103.jpg

20150809_144622.jpg

20150823_073913.jpg

IMAG0256.jpg

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'm not that great at breed guesses, but I wouldn't place too much importance on knowing her breed for training purposes. Even if you could know exactly which breeds are in her, there's no guarantee that she will match the characteristics of those breeds. Dogs are individuals - dogs of the same breed can vary greatly in temperament and training needs. As you work with your dog and get to know her, you'll find what works best for her. She's adorable, btw!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, I know she's VERY energetic and we recently found out she has anxiety disorder so for her training I'm doing positive reinforcement only but I know my vet said he sees boxer in her for sure and I was thinking maybe German Shepard too but her ears though, perhaps Jack Russel Terrier? She isn't very big at all. (40lbs)

·
Registered
172 Posts
Yep, positive reinforcement works very well and is a must if you've got an anxious dog that would be stressed/traumatized by corrections. And I could see Boxer as a possibility, but like I said I'm no expert.

·
Registered
3 Posts
She looks part Boxer to me. I see boxer/ lab mix possibly. Her head, body, and nose look boxy like a boxer, but her nose is too long for just a pure Boxer

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Id say some kind of houndy shepherdy mix with some lab and a touch of terrier/bully, and maybe something a little on the smaller size since she's not to big.

Reactions: amaryllis

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Looks like a Black Mouth Cur to me. The low end for males is 40 lbs.

There's no need to tailor training to breed. You tailor it to the dog, and that just in terms of how long of a training session, what reward you use, what talents they might have to be developed. The whole "training by breed" is just a scam punishment based trainers use to justify their methods.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts