Dog Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, I'm new here. I dont get on the computer much. mostly at work if I have a moment cause I don't have one at home anymore. I (my family of myself, my husband and 3 children) just adopted a 2yr old female shitzue (spelling?) from our local pound. She was there for a week before put up for adoption. A few days later we adopted her and it was another week before she was fixed and allowed to come home with us. We have had her for about 4 days now. They said she seemed to be potty trained. But we are having accidents. I have a female lab and golden mix who is 1yr and 7mo old that I really don't want to go backwards with as potty training her was really hard to the point I almost gave up. I also have a cat that has always done well with her potty habbits till we babysat a cat for 2 days that didn't. It took a while to get her back on track so I don't want any problems with her again. So, as you can see, its very important to get this quickly under controle but theres a catch....
Snowflake (the shitzue) has an unknown past. She is affraid to eat infront of us. We had to leave the kitchen to get her to eat. So I have spent a lot of time praising her for even being near her bowl while Im around and on the floor next to her bowl treating her. Now I can even get her to eat out of my hand. Problem now is she only wants to eat if Im near her bowl. So Im trying to figure out how to get her to eat regardless that Im there. She is also a runner. I have now after lots of work gotten her to stop running to far away when she darts out the door if I sit on the sidewalk and happily call her. She slowly shrinks back to me with her tail tucked. I praise her when she gets to me and flood her face with kisses so that she is finding out its a good thing to come back to me, not bad.
So......
How do I get her to stop accidents on the floor without her being afraid of me. I have allready put a lot of work into her to not be afraid. Im afraid correcting her will go backwards with this shy untrusting little dog. She is a great dog and we already love her so much. We visited her for about 2 or 3 hours everyday she was at the pound after we adopted her and have been growing a relationship since. Does anyone have any kind ideas that would help us. Thanks, Stef

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
First off congrats on your rescue :) You sound like you are doing a great job with getting her used to eating in front of you, basically apply the same positive reinforcement behavior to going potty outside.

The first thing you want to consider, if you haven't already, is getting her on a schedule. After she eats she should go out immediately or shortly after. You can also restrict water so when you give it to her you know when she will need to go out.

The other thing is watch her like a hawk but don't do it abrasively. You don't want to follow her and stand next to her at all times lol, just keep an eye on her and maybe restrict her to be in the room you are in. I use a baby gate.

When she goes simply pick her up and put her outside and tell her simply to "go potty". When she goes outside give her treats and lots of appraisal. When you catch her going you can either not say anything and place her outside or start using a word like "uh uh" but use a calm voice, soon she will realize "uh uh" means she is not to be doing what she is doing but there is no "punishment".

Also make sure to clean all areas she is urinated or defecating on thoroughly to help rid of the smell :) I have learned to use positive reinforcement with my chihuahua that we found running the streets (she would go potty everywhere in the house). She has taken to it very well and enjoys going outside now to go potty since she knows she will get loved on and treats :)

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I will try that. I was so afraid to correct her and make her not trust me. Do you think maybe useing potty pads would be a step backwards? I have given it some thought but am afraid I might confuse her. She is only left home alone for about 6 hours a few days a week between my husbands and mine wrk sched.

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Thanks, I will try that. I was so afraid to correct her and make her not trust me. Do you think maybe useing potty pads would be a step backwards? I have given it some thought but am afraid I might confuse her. She is only left home alone for about 6 hours a few days a week between my husbands and mine wrk sched.
Have you guys considered crate training? If not I would suggest this. Using crates for eating and as a place to get away for some alone time helps get the dog used to it and gives them space that is their own. It is good to crate dogs since they do not like to potty where they eat and sleep.

Lots of people have mixed feelings about puppy pads. I use them for my new puppy but my older, potty trained dogs did not revert back to using them. Some people think it may confuse dogs. Its up to you :)

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, if it might not confuse her, I might try potty pads. I wonder if she might know what they are already. I have crate trained before and have always made a big deal of it. Feora, my lab golden mix, has gotten to a point she didnt really use hers anymore as long as I blocked her into the kitchen when we are not home to keep the barbie community safe. Our kitchen is not huge but is big and we could keep it dog safe. Since she no longer used her crate, we took it out. The kitchen grew when we did that. So I didnt want to put another in. I will if Snowflake prooves to really need one. I am looking forward to try what you said though.
I might have to get another crate. hmmmmmm..... Sorry, I think out loud a lot :)

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
I have nothing to add on the potty training as you have already gotten the same advice I would give ;)

But anyway congrats on your rescue!

Shih tzus are companion dogs so once shes comfortable, she will love you to death...

as for eating only when your around...sounds like a "being new" thing she will just outgrow, perhaps try to stand further and further away at each meal.

If she wont takes treats from your hand.... toss them at her and then walk away...she will still understand that you gave it to her. Also sit sideways or backwards to her when you can , as this is less scary to them. Shy dogs like this want to feel "invisible" at first, so make sure she has "space" ;)

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks.
I really like this dog. She is wonderful. But I have to admitt with hopefully not to offend anyone that I was very strong in putting my foot down to say 'No puppies' cause we just dont have the time or set up to do potty training. A mannerd dog would have lots of fun with us as we are allways on the go and dogs come with us to most places. I just love having them with us. So I am really frusterated with getting a 2 yr old that we thought was potty trained. I will not give her up juat incase anyone thinks that is where Im heading. We will make this work. Its just that I am a bit frusterated, thats all. I hope some how she GETS it cause I am forever cleaning up after her now everyday. All of us are at every turn. I got potty pads today, I hope this works. I may have to get a crate but had hoped that she wouldnt need one. I liked the idea of her sleeping with us and greeting us at the door when she does have to stay home. but its no fun when there is mess after mess. I really want her to work out cause we do really love her.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
thanks.
I really like this dog. She is wonderful. But I have to admitt with hopefully not to offend anyone that I was very strong in putting my foot down to say 'No puppies' cause we just dont have the time or set up to do potty training. A mannerd dog would have lots of fun with us as we are allways on the go and dogs come with us to most places. I just love having them with us. So I am really frusterated with getting a 2 yr old that we thought was potty trained. I will not give her up juat incase anyone thinks that is where Im heading. We will make this work. Its just that I am a bit frusterated, thats all. I hope some how she GETS it cause I am forever cleaning up after her now everyday. All of us are at every turn. I got potty pads today, I hope this works. I may have to get a crate but had hoped that she wouldnt need one. I liked the idea of her sleeping with us and greeting us at the door when she does have to stay home. but its no fun when there is mess after mess. I really want her to work out cause we do really love her.

Even the adults need a "refresher" course in potty skills at a new home...

have you tried keeping her with you 100% of the time? When I have a new dog, they don't leave my sight for 6 weeks or more (when Im home obviously) and are taken outside every 30 minutes.

Every accident sets you back a step, because she is practicing what you don't want.... better to be over the top anal about taking her outside and crating her when you can't be there and prevent them from happening, IMO. :)

good luck, keep us posted. :)

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
I know how you feel about potty training a pup-Pups are adorable but ALOT of work and it's unfortunate to take an adult dog into the home and find out it's not trained!!!

I totally ditto the crate training (to give her a quiet 'den' to eat and sleep in)-as well when it's a small space, they are not going to soil it unless it's an emergency.

Think about renting a steam cleaner or having a professional in to clean the carpets-if there is a hint of scent (of pee or poo) they will continue to go there and the more accidents they have the harder it is to train in the long run.

Don't correct, or rub her nose in it-it just doesn't work and will in all likelyhood backtrack the work you've done to make her comfortable.

*Take her out after every meal and every drink-and every couple of hours-and first thing in the morning and last thing at night.

*Praise her when she goes outside, ignore her if you find a mess inside, and if caught in the act -scoop her up take her outside and praise her.

I wonder-has she had a vet exam yet? Adult animals will sometimes 'lose' their potty training if they have a UTI.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
I agree about the carpet cleaner...its a lifesaver...especially if a dog vomits or has diarhea down the road....

I have a cheesy $60 bissel carpet shampooer and a $200 one my dad gave me. Both work awesome.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, fingers crossed, I think somethen good is happening!! I went home this morn from work and there was no mess and she was ready to go out!! I had to leav later to pay bills after getting some sleep and decided not to take the dogs this time and when I got back, she pood on the pad! I did a dance, my youngest thought I was being funny. Accidental hit on pad or on purpose? I so hope on purpose.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh, and we just adopted her from the pound so was just spayed. The vet did a top to bottom check up. Shes on meds for worms, she was full of them

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Aw :( That really stink I hope she gets better soon. I wonder if the worms could have anything to do with her having accidents? Glad she held it today :)

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Great stuff!! I'm glad to hear she's already doing better :)

We have a bissel carpet shampooer too-and it's amazing!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts