Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Need help with "drop it" command please.

2K views 16 replies 4 participants last post by  mgdpublic 
#1 ·
I've been teaching my 13 week puppy to drop it using toys but he won't drop the things I really want him to like his leash or sticks outside. Can I train him with those things too as they happen or am I just training him to pick up that stuff so he can get a treat? Thanks.

#3 ·
Until he is trained, don't ask him to drop it unless you have a treat, toy, or other desirable bribe ready to offer. Learn which things are worth it to him, and use that knowledge. Also, prevent him from picking things up in the first place that you don't want him to have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#8 ·
He has things he is ALLOWED to pick up, right? Unless you literally are not allowing him to pic up ANYTHING, then no, he won't learn that because most of the time when he pics up a toy he will just play with it, not get a treat for it.

Also, don't treat "drop it" the same for a chew toy that is his as for a shoe that he isn't allowed to have. Reprimand for picking things up that he isn't allowed to have, and teach him not to pick them up rather than teaching him to hand them to you.

If by some wild chance he learns to pick things up and bring them to you for treats, then you have successfully taught him the "drop it" command, and from there all you need to do is ignore him if you don't need him to drop it, because again, you have taught him not to pick up things he shouldn't so he will only be picking up his own things.

#9 ·
Also, don't treat "drop it" the same for a chew toy that is his as for a shoe that he isn't allowed to have.

I somewhat agree but aus or drop it ( never "leave it" ) has benefit across the board, nothing wrong with proofing a dog with an item which you describe as "his" and expecting a crisp drop. Instilling this mentality/interaction with a pup offers great benefit especially with pups which might grow into resource guarders.

I'm thinking, by the time the pup has the "shoe", I'm already behind the curve and missed that "teachable moment".

#12 ·
I think a lot of it has to do with fine tuning the training to the needs of the family the dog lives it. For my dog, and my family, my dog does very well when he understands that whatever he is doing or has just done is unacceptable. There were no swiftly and clearly communicates this. This Will not be the case with every dog, but it works very well for us therefore distinguishing between I'm "I must put this down right now and never pick it up again" and "I will pick this up again in the future because it is a toy, and I can bring it to my owner and put it in their hand."

#16 ·
I reread your original post. Your 13 week old puppy is exactly that. At that age, I might use indifference and become less "fun" when a pup doesn't do what I believe it is capable of, based on my performance and abilities as well. One has to be realistic about the rambunctious, flighty and short attention span of a young pup. I'm not suggesting that obedience skills cannot be introduced and taught but 13 weeks should be more focused on foundation training with obedience not taking the base position. The more you can accomplish through keeping it "fun" during your less than lengthy sessions at this age, I believe will benefit you more over the years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.