Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have 3 GSD's whom are all of different ages. I have an older female who is 9.5 years old, a young male who is 3.5 years and a new addition of a female pup (as a playmate and companion for my male) who is only 14 weeks.
Everything has been fine with them, they all get along and my males mood has improved greatly since getting the young puppy. They have a great time playing together, especially since my older female has the beginning stages of arthristis in her back end.

Anyways, for the past few weeks my 3.5yr old male has been having accidents in the house at night time (diarrhea) for some unknown reason. I've tried to keep track of everything he eats, how much daily exercise he gets, and making sure he isn't eating plants outside, etc. This diarrhea only happens every now and then. I first thought it was from his tick/flea meds, but it's been two weeks after his meds and the diarrhea stopped for a few days. Then this morning I get up and he's had another accident. :/

I have them on a schedule, hes never had ANY trouble with it in the past, and now it seems he is having major issues. I don't know if it's possible, but could this be a behavioural type of thing? Its only EVER at night this happens, when everyone is asleep.

I checked this morning and his stool was perfectly fine, solid, and normal looking. However last night it was very watery. He ended up having two accidents last night, and even the weeks before when he had his accidents, it was the same thing- watery diarrhea during the night, yet his leavings outside are in solid form. Which is making me ponder if this is in fact a behavioural thing.
He was JUST at the vet a couple weeks ago for his flea/tick meds, and he's in perfect health so I know it's not anything medical. He's never had a reaction to the meds either, and I've been using them for his entire life.

Any thoughts or tips on how to stop this? Could this be a behavioural situation, or my dog trying to seek more attention? I don't know what's going on.
Thanks so much!

·
Registered
478 Posts
I would have the young one checked, it may be that she has passed on something to the older one. I don't see how it can be behavioural, he has no control over what he... passes, for want of a better word :) What time do you feed him? I'm thinking you could try feeding him at a different time so that he has his accidents when he can be let outside. I know it doesn't solve the problem but at least it's less mess to clear up.

Lynsey

·
Registered
44 Posts
Maybe your problem has resolved by now but I just now saw this post. My 2 cents is to consider the emotions of having new puppy.

The gastrointestinal system (gut) is amazingly affected by the emotions, yet it's not an obvious thing & not intuitive at all.

You said his mood improved with puppy, but even happiness can be stressful for various reasons. Just a thought.

It's a frustrating problem but I have a feeling it will resolve with time & patience.

·
Banned
1,885 Posts
poor dog!

I'm hoping this was long-since resolved, as it was already 3-weeks of on-&-off diarrhea when the new-member joined & posted this. :eek: Not fun for anyone, & possibly debilitating for the dog: diarrhea removes water-soluble vitamins [everything but A,D, E, & K] & minerals from the body, & also can throw electrolytes out of balance.

E-lytes perform a host of critical functions, among them, muscle contractions - like heart-beat.

just in case diarrhea is ongoing or "sometimes", here are some possible causes or Qs for the vet & potential tests:

* gastric misadventure?
what if she eats something in the yard / garden B4 bed, ONLY at home?

A plant, some lawn-care product on the grass, an herb / seed / fungus / ____ ?

* licking something [cleaning chemical on the floor, sanitizer / polish on the dishwasher or frig, ___ ] ?

i have no idea what the cause might be, but it was 3 weeks when this post went up - most vets recommend a vet-visit after just 48-hours with diarrhea, even intermittent.

* Giardia? -
that can cause come-&-go CHRONIC diarrhea, & it's found in virtually every surface-stream & pond in the USA.
Beaver & whitetail deer carry it as a normal part of their intestinal flora. // It's hard to Dx, & tough to eradicate.

Giardia also finds its way into wells, & even city water-supplies - entire counties have been under "boil water" edicts for MONTHS, & 'boil' means a rolling boil for 10-minutes, minimum.

I'd ask about an occult stool-sample & a wet slide, or a fecal culture for yeast overgrowth.

- terry

1 - 4 of 4 Posts