Dog Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Sheltie is 6 years old and is overweight. I feed him Blue Buffalo. 1/2 c. 3 x per day. He gets tired of his kibble so I mix maybe 2-3 oz of chicken breast in at lunch and for dinner. I'm overfeeding him. I have to be or he'd be losing weight. But if I feed him less he is SO hungry!

I tried mixing his kibble in with green beans. That worked for awhile. Then he would eat the kibble and leave the green beans. :(

He's 16" tall and should weigh about 25 lbs I think. He's probably 35 instead.

HELP! What can I do to keep him satisfied and happy and not eating so much?

Oh...for a Sheltie, he's a complete slug. Very little exercise. Especially this winter. :(

·
Registered
228 Posts
Don't worry if he's hungry, just get used to it. It doesn't hurt the dog any, as some dogs tend to over-eat, and still act hungry. I would cut it down to feeding 2x daily. I feed my sheltie about 2/3 cup, 2x daily, and an occasional raw chicken leg. I think I have her at the right amount now, as she hasn't gained any, and hasn't lost any. And yes, she does act hungry at times, but I just ignore it, as I know she's getting enough to be a healthy, happy frisbee freak, lol. She's an oversized sheltie at about 41lbs., which is her ideal weight for her size.

·
Registered
26 Posts
When ever I reduce a foster dog we always give 1/3 c kibble and two tablespoons of plain pumpkin. Alternating between the pumpkin and green beans. You are definately over feeding. A sheltie at 16" should not receive more than 1/2 c kibble twice a day. They are very thrifty about calorie useage, it's part of their makeup. So start today by giving him less food and only feed twice a day.
If you HAVE to give him a third meal at noon try those tiny carrot shreds or apple slices at that time and don't feed kibble and please let us know how you are doing..

Hugs

·
Registered
303 Posts
I also agree that you are over feeding, but.....along with cutting him back, I'd up his exercise. Either by walking him or by play time and switch his BB to the weight control formula or the Senior Formula. They have less protien and less fat. Less fat is good in an over weight dog as is less protein. Unused protien turns into fat (on the dog).
Watch his treat intake as well and watch what you treat with. If you treat often, then you need to add the treats into the amount of his food intake. You can also treat with mini rice cakes or use a low fat treat. Sweet Potatos are a great treat.

I also want to mention, that if you have not already, discuss his weight with his vet. He may have an underlying health issue such as a over or under active thyroid.
So while the thought of "if I feed less then he should be loosing weight" can be in some cases, incorrect. While more then likely, he just needs less of a caloric in take and more exercise, I would not over rule a possible systemic issue.
Best of luck getting him to a healthier weight! I know how hard it can be to get a budgy dog loss budgy! Please let us know how he is doing!!

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for all the replies! When we got the little rescue sheltie mix on Friday, it was PAINFULLY obvious how much overweight my baby is. :(

They are both now getting 1/2 c. morning and night. No lunch. No treats. And since we have the new little guy, Scotty (the overweight one) isn't complaining about eating as much as he did. He's not begging 24/7. I'm absolutely amazed.

My DH says Scotty is embarrassed because he's so much bigger than Rascal (the new one).

We've been really, really, really sick since Saturday morning. Food poisoning or something. Still not over it. So everything has been done differently than normal which may be a good thing for the dogs. It's all been disrupted.

But they're not getting much exercise to speak of because of it. We are having a much larger chain link fence installed asap so that they have a place to run. Rascal will be happy to run. Scotty will start moving some I hope.

Jo

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh and I started Scotty on the weight control but I have to drive 30 miles to get it and we ran out.........so he's getting the blue bag for the moment. Will get more weight control when I'm able to drive that far again.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Goodness Jo, I sure hope y'all get better soon! Food poisioning is the worst! Maybe with the new addition, Scotty will become more active and that will help get some weight off!
GG

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
GG, thanks! As soon as the fence gets installed (which depends on our Indiana weather, of course), we'll all get some more exercise.

The new guy already ran out the door when my husband opened it the other day. Chasing him when I was sick was NOT my idea of a good time. We did get him back in a short period of time and my hubby is now MUCH more aware and more careful about the door.

Jo

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We're on day 10 of feeding 2 x per day and 1/2 c. per dog per feeding. We're doing ok. I had to give them a little extra yesterday as both of them were hungry. They each got maybe 1/4 c. last evening. BUT that's the first time they've bugged me about it so I think we're doing VERY well.

Scotty has probably been cut down by close to 1/2 of his food. And he's not complaining much up until last night and then they both wanted more food. Could be the cats ate too much. They tend to want to eat the dog food in addition to their own cat food. lol

The good news is the contractor measured for the fence today and said depending on the weather, it might go in next week! HURRAY!

Jo

·
Registered
6 Posts
Have you looked at the Aikiou, it's new and seems like something he would both enjoy and it would help him to take his time while eating. So maybe he'll eat less...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Why don't you try Natures Recipe dog food. There are no fillers, you can buy it in Pet smart. It's great for keeping weight off also. Try JUst Because For Dog treats. You can find them on the internet. There is no sorbitol in it.20cal, 5 carbs and just healthy. The owner of the company started this because of the unhealthy fat free treats out there, and they are made in the US. Dogs love them and so does my son. That's how safe they are.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Did you try Natures Recipes canned or dry food and Just Because For Dogs Treats. I put these to together for my terrier and it worked well. You can buy the food at Pet Smart and the treats on the internet. It has been the best combo I have come p with and it's good food and the teats are probably the best low fat or fat free treats with nothing that could but great ingredients and you can even read the nutritional labels.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had that problem with my Terrier. I picked up Natures Recipe from Pet Smart and I started to buy dog treats they I found on the internet. They are called Just Because For Dogs.Very low in calories,carbs and no fat. Dogs love them and you don't have to worry about weight gain. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
This thread is really really really old... from 2009...

·
Registered
255 Posts
I just got an article from my vet about overweight pets. It says that you can calculate the amount of calories your dog needs by using the following formula.

Take your dogs weight divide by 2.2

Multiply this answer by 30

Add 70.

This is (roughly)the amount of calories your dog needs to maintain its current weight.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts