Dog Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I need some help, I'm starting to get desperate.

2 1/2 months ago I took in a dog I found on the street. He is a black labrador, 5 years old. He is very kind and good natured. He is my first dog. He was abandoned because the family he lived with left town (I mean, because the family he lived with were jerks and left town). He was bare bones when I found him.

He is much better now, but two of the problems he had when I found him still remain. I have taken him to 5 vets during this time. It is not that I'm tired of throwing my money away, but I'm beginning to feel very bad that I have not been able to help him.

That's why I joined this forum, I hope someone has some advice.

1. He has both eyes covered with a blue veil, and the white part is usually red. First they gave me some eyedrops that did nothing. Then a different kind of eyedrops, Tobramicine. They started working but when they were finished the eyes immediately went back to how they were before. I started applying them again but the dog rejected them. The last vet told me it was the food he was eating [I was giving him bones (for dogs, from the supermarket), hide, and the food I ate: eggs, tuna, potatoes, beans, sandwiches, sometimes meat, etc.]. He gave me some super-expensive dog food that I really cannot afford and said to wait and see. The dog food is almost finished (3 weeks) and the dog is still the same.

2. He itches a lot. Not as at the beginning; he couldn't lay down still for more than 20 seconds without having to scratch. All over. Now it is not as bad, but it is still bad. I notice it remains mostly under the armpits. He has no bruises or marks on his skin. At first they gave me a shampoo. apparently it helped, but every time I applied it he itched more, then it went back to normal. I also gave him some supplements.

He is a great dog. I'm tired of watching him like that and that vets aren't helping. That's why I'm asking for help on the forums.

Thanks in advance.

Balog.

·
Banned
5,518 Posts
1) What tests were done in his eyes? He needs to have his tear production checked and his eye pressures checked for glaucoma.

2) Where are you from? My concerns would be fleas/mites or an allergy-- this could be due to the environment or food typically. And with food allergies, it is typically the protein source in the food (the meat source) that is the problem, usually chicken or beef. So, what foods has he been on/what were the meat sources?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Have they done any allergy test? I can tell you from experience allergies can be expensive and take a long time to figure it all out.
If you are truly not happy with the results at your vet I would find a new vet.
Good luck.

·
Banned
6,281 Posts
Other people have more experience than I do but I would throw out there and ask if it could be allergies causing either or both? Could be both environmental (which is why the shampoo would have helped originally but not permanently) and food. Since allergies would reoccur the same way and get better and worse based on various treatments, it might be worth asking at least. I could see his allergies being that bad and him needing some extra help because of it. Also if it IS that, once you know what it is that he's allergic to it's a lot easier to change a few things consistently and have it get better.

·
Banned
6,281 Posts
Buahaha I posted before I saw the others, Holly is a vet last time I checked so my instincts were good!! Woo.

But vets really need to see the dog a lot of the time to be accurate so still worth going in again.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Have they done any allergy test? I can tell you from experience allergies can be expensive and take a long time to figure it all out.
If you are truly not happy with the results at your vet I would find a new vet.
Good luck.
The OP said that he's taken his dog to 5 vets already.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
1) What tests were done in his eyes? He needs to have his tear production checked and his eye pressures checked for glaucoma.
Thanks for your reply Holly. Ah yes, I forgot to mention that. They did a test with some fluorescent liquid to check for ulcers i think; but he came back negative.

2) Where are you from? My concerns would be fleas/mites or an allergy-- this could be due to the environment or food typically. And with food allergies, it is typically the protein source in the food (the meat source) that is the problem, usually chicken or beef. So, what foods has he been on/what were the meat sources?
I live in Monterrey, MX. It is not fleas or mites; he had them, but they fixed that since the beginning. I'm sure because he sleeps with me.

The meat he ate (back until 3 weeks ago) was the bones for dogs they sell at the supermarket, the residues. The rest of the food is what I mentioned, but all that until 3 weeks ago. Now I just give him a little ice cream or some cookies once in a while, besides the hypoallergenic dog food.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Buahaha I posted before I saw the others, Holly is a vet last time I checked so my instincts were good!! Woo.

But vets really need to see the dog a lot of the time to be accurate so still worth going in again.
Thanks Kwenami for your posts. Yeah, I know I should go see another one, but I wanted to get more informed first this time.

·
Banned
5,518 Posts
So the eye tests I mentioned were NOT done, so they should be for sure!!

And I'd start by picking a good food that is made of lamb, venison or duck-- don't know what you have around.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So the eye tests I mentioned were NOT done, so they should be for sure!!

And I'd start by picking a good food that is made of lamb, venison or duck-- don't know what you have around.
Ok.

I think venison will be easier to find.

Is there a risk that this illnesses will have no cure?

Thanks again!

·
Banned
5,518 Posts
If its glaucoma, it's hard to treat but treatable.

If he's not producing tears, called keratoconjunctivitis sicca or KCS (the test is a schirmer tear test), it is very treatable.

Allergies, if you find the right source, are manageable.

The eyes may be from allergies but based solely on description could be the above conditions as well. If those are ruled out, some Benadryl daily and Artificial Tears Ointment in the eyes multiple times a day may help.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks everyone.

I have taken the dog to the vet (the 1st. one I took him to the first day, which is like 45 mins. from here) and he is doing much better. They couldn't do a glaucoma study because it is too expensive and they don't have the equipment, but they did a series of studies, blood and other, and gave him some shots and a treatment with pills and more shots and he is gettng much better now.

Thanks everyone for your help, I really appreciate it.

Now I have another problem, if you want to check it out:

http://www.dogforum.com/dog-training-behavior/black-dog-peeing-everywhere-104834/#post1242802

Cheers,
Roberto

1 - 14 of 14 Posts