Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I posted earlier this year about a Pomeranian that was being left outside and neglected. We have spent the past several months talking to the owner about the dog and have called the local sheriff about the conditions of the dog. It's hard because it is our next door neighbor and we hear the dog barking all day and night to be let in.

A little backstory:

He was stuck outside in the rain all yesterday and I am not sure when the last time he ate was. We fed him 2 days ago and he gobbled down the food. I feel bad for him, because he has been stuck outside since we moved in last year. He is a Pomeranian and weighs about 8-9 lbs maybe. He is usually filthy, matted, covered in fleas and ticks and seems thirsty or hungry. Our neighbor doesn't see anything wrong with it, I honestly think he is just ignorant of how to take care of a dog.

When we first got here, we mostly ignored the dog, except for the children. They would pet him and cuddle with him and play with him. After a few months, we started taking care of him a little. Giving him water when his bowl was empty and we have fed him dog food here and there. We've seen things like chicken bones, slim jims and leftovers in his bowl, never seen dog food. Once winter hit, I felt bad for him and one night on our way back home, we found him frozen to the concrete. We took him to the vet and had him checked for frostbite. We took him in and bathed him, fed him and I started bringing him in at night. We told the neighbor about it and he started bringing him in at night, but not consistently. We would bring him in if he didn't. About a month later, our neighbor went away for the holidays. He asked us to watch him and take care of him while he was gone, we agreed. We kept him inside, cleaned him up and started him on a 6 month flea treatment. We let him out to pee and that was really about it for going outside. The temps were usually around 18°-35° then. He got used to being warm and inside, so it was a shock for him when the neighbor came back and started keeping him outside again. So, we kept bringing him inside at night all through out the winter.

His sibling who lives down the road also would bring Puppy in whenever he wandered down to her house. She is concerned for Puppy too. But the situation is complicated. He has gotten hit by cars and trucks on the road quite a few times. We took him to the vet after he got hit by a truck. We told our neighbor, but he works nights and was sleeping when it happened. So I took actions into my own hands. He thanked me for taking him, then proceeded to leave him outside again. A few weeks after that incident, he got hit by another vehicle right in front of us. Our neighbor took him to the vet and he was treated for a broken rib. Still left outside, even the same day out of the vet's office. His poor paw is misshapen and looks as if it was broken, but didn't heal right. Neighbor's sibling told me that he did break his paw and was never taken to the vet.

This whole situation has been hard for me. I have been biting my lip for months about what to do with this poor animal. We offered to take him off his hands and keep him, but he refused. He would make comments to my children like "you all should take Puppy' and "you can keep Puppy" but when I talked to him about it, he said no. I gave in this morning and called the local sheriff's office. Again. They came over and right after they left, the poor dog is back outside, sitting on a blanket. It's still 42° and still foggy and wet. I don't know what else to do. The shelters around here are full up and no one seems to care. Neighbor's sister asked me to not let Puppy freeze to death. I don't know what else to do. If we take him in again this winter, he is going to do what he did last year and expect us to be his owners. He's been confused ever since last winter because of that.

We also have another dog, which makes things more complicated. I just don't want to see him freeze to death.

Advice would be helpful.

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
You've called the Sheriff, but what about Animal Control or the local Humane Society? I would start making call after call until you can get the dog out of that situation.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts