Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello every one, im steven from the UK.
I recently went to visit my grandparents, who said their king charles spaniel has a hard lump on his lip, it has grown from the size of a spot, to a larger size within 2-3 weeks, the lump is on the inner of his lip but can be seen when he has his mouth closed.
Can you help, were all hoping it isnt cancer or a tumor!
any help appreciated!

Attachments

·
Registered
264 Posts
A growing lump requires a vet. No one here can diagnose your pup's illness, you need to take the dog in.

It may just be a benign lump that can be removed with a brief procedure, but you should act quickly before it gets bigger and more complicated.

You should not rely on an internet forum to diagnose something like this, you really do need a vet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A growing lump requires a vet. No one here can diagnose your pup's illness, you need to take the dog in.

It may just be a benign lump that can be removed with a brief procedure, but you should act quickly before it gets bigger and more complicated.

You should not rely on an internet forum to diagnose something like this, you really do need a vet.
Oops, they had taken him to the vets, and they have prescribed a course of antibiotics. How ever my grandparents friend who has owned dogs all his life, said it was some kind of tumor, and that he has had a few dogs with with before, most being benign. Thanks anyways :) Just wanted opinions :)

·
Registered
264 Posts
That's good the dog's been to a vet, you had me worried there for a sec :D

The fact that it's getting bigger would suggest to me that it may be some sort of tumor-like lump. I'd want to get it biopsied if the vet would agree, however if they put the dog on antibiotics I would say the vet thinks it is some sort of abscess? That's just a guess though.

Either way, if the lump is not improving on antibiotics, bring the dog back to the vet. I can't imagine my vet putting my dog on antibiotics for a growing lump in the lip.. he'd make 100% sure it wasn't something else first. I might take the dog to another vet for a second opinion.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's good the dog's been to a vet, you had me worried there for a sec :D

The fact that it's getting bigger would suggest to me that it may be some sort of tumor-like lump. I'd want to get it biopsied if the vet would agree, however if they put the dog on antibiotics I would say the vet thinks it is some sort of abscess? That's just a guess though.

Either way, if the lump is not improving on antibiotics, bring the dog back to the vet. I can't imagine my vet putting my dog on antibiotics for a growing lump in the lip.. he'd make 100% sure it wasn't something else first. I might take the dog to another vet for a second opinion.
Thanks, he has been on antibiotics for around 2 weeks. The vet said he wouldnt want to put him to sleep for a operation or biopsy as he is around 10 years old. Were worried about him really, it doesnt seem to hurt him but he isnt the type of dog to show it. Thank you!

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
If the vet simply won't anesthetize him due to age, you need a second opinion. 10 is not old for a Cavalier and age is not a disease to prevent a procedure from occurring. ESPECIALLY if the vet only gave antibiotics and didn't even take a sample of this mass. If no sample of the mass was taken, then there is no way to even begin to tell what it is. There are tumors on the lips here that are benign, yes, but there are also types that are malignant. I'd hate for him to just be getting antibiotics for a malignant, aggressive tumor...

·
Registered
264 Posts
Exactly. Also, if it is some sort of infection, if they've got no sample and culture to work with, they don't have a sensitivity report, and they could just be treating the dog with drugs the bacteria are actually resistant to. I dislike this culture of throwing random antibiotics at problems which seems to be present in both humans AND animals...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts