Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a mini aussie who is 3 years old. He is very protective of his family and has always slept with my husband and myself. He gets extremely nervous if there are any signs of affection whether its in the bedroom, couch, etc. It's getting very frustrating in our bedroom as he will start to whine, bark or basically make his way in between us if anything is going on. If we put him in another room, he will whine, bark etc and we have kids in the house. We are at a loss as how to curb this behavior and teach him that he doesn't need to protect us. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Thank you!

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Maybe try giving him something tasty to chew in the other room while you want peace?

Sorry, I don`t have better ideas. Im sure someone with more knowledge will hop in :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes we have tried that! I really think he goes thru separation anxiety when he is not near us. a tasty treat will last for about 2 minutes and then he realizes - o I need to find them and the barking starts and will NOT stop :ponder:

·
Registered
439 Posts
I completely understand. Bandit has gotten used to sleeping in bed with me, and he will get right in the way and cause some awkward situations if me and my boyfriend try anything. To be honest, we've gotten to the point where we will give him a really nice bone (actually I might start using a frozen kong filled with peanut butter, I got that idea from other posters here) and shutting him out of the room. Lately I just ignore his whining and he'll stop eventually. I've also started shutting him out of my room while I get dressed in the morning. So he doesn't automatically think something bad is happening to me if he's not allowed in the room.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts