Dog Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a one year old Jack Russel. He is trained to pee and poo outside, twice a day. But now he started repeatedly peeing home when I'm away. When I'm home he can hold his pee even for 10-12 hours. So it's not anything physical.

Whenever I come back he meets me extremely excitedly and there I know, there must be a pee! And whats weird he always puts my slipper or something else to cover it. I started punishing him by showing him his pee and saying "no pee", then letting him to sit near the door for a while but it just doesn't work. The thing is- he knows he did something wrong but still keeps doing it.

We also have a cat, 6 months old, they get along pretty well. He even shares his food with him. So when we aren't home he is with the cat. Is that anything connected with this?

I know he is very smart and understands stuff. So I'm thinking it must be something psychological which I'm not getting. The way he thinks. Also recently I started walking him without a leash, idk if it can relate to this or not.

Well I wrote a lot, just wanted to be clear about the situation. If anyone has any experience with this kinda thing - please, help me. I don't wanna come back and be always pissed off, clean the pee.
Thanks!

·
Registered
343 Posts
Hey. Welcome to the forum!

You don't offer a lot of information surrounding the circumstances that lead up to your dog peeing in the house so I'm going to make some assumptions and go with my gut feeling here.

How long is you dog home when he's peeing inside? My first assumption would be that he's not getting out enough and just can't hold it.

Taking him out only twice a day is not nearly enough for any dog, and just because a dog can hold it for up to 12 hours.. doesn't mean he should. I would up the amount you take him out to 4 times a day, minimum. First thing in the morning, right before you head out for work/school, when you get back from work/school, and before bed.

secondly, your 'punishment' is doing nothing. If you don't actually catch him in the act of peeing he's not going to have any idea why you're doing what you're doing. Further punishing him if you catch him in the act will make him think that peeing in front of you is bad, not that peeing is bad. The better approach is to reward him for peeing where you want him to. Lots of praise and a good treat or 3.

I doubt the cat has anything to do with him peeing in the house. In fact if you're only taking him out twice a day I would venture that there is a spot somewhere in your house that is soaked in pee.

What I would do to remedy the situation is go back to the basics. Take him out every 2-3 hours, reward for peeing and pooping outside with treats and praise, keep an eye on him at all times, if you can't watch him (even if it's just for a minute) he's in a puppy safe restricted area (playpen, sectioned off area in the kitchen) or his crate. After a 2-3 weeks of continued success with this then I you can start giving him more freedom and increase the time between potty breaks.

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
Totally agree with @Thisisme19. When you punish a dog for going in your house, they only make the connection that you seeing the pee is very bad. They then make sure to pee where you won't have to see it (think behind couches, under tables etc). Twice a day outside is not very much at all. Imagine if you only got to use the washroom twice a day. I'm sure you could hold it for a long time too, but you probably wouldn't want to.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts