Dog Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1 year old Australian Cattle Dog- English Springer Spaniel cross bit someone on Saturday. She has never bitten anyone before.

She is normally very friendly, although I am cautious with her. She is a bit skittish and doesn’t like noise. As an ACD she is also very protective of me.

We were at the grocery store and our dog Addie was in the car. My husband brought a man he knows over to the car to meet her. She was barking at someone else who had slipped on ice and fell against the car. I tried to tell my husband to stop the introduction but he wouldn’t listen. When the man reached out to pet her, she bit him. She was barking and growling. He was very gracious about it and is OK although she did break the skin. My husband saw the guy today and he is fine and not concerned about the dog.

My husband has early stage dementia and sometimes will just not listen to me. I’m wondering if she is too much dog for us and maybe I should rehouse her. I love her dearly and would hate to do this but I don’t want him to do this again and then have to have her euthanized. Any advice is welcome.

·
Super Moderator
4,614 Posts
I am going to close this thread.

Once your dog has bitten someone, you really need to seek the advice of an in-person, positive reinforcement trainer. They will be able to give you an in-person, honest review of your dog and what they think are the required steps.

In the meantime, I might suggest teaching her to love wearing a muzzle, especially if your husband enjoys introducing her to people when she might not be ready for it.

I will also caution that she sounds like she is a lot of dog, and you might be very preoccupied with your husband in the coming years.

I wish you the best of luck in however you choose to handle the situation.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.