Dog Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I adopted a mill rescued min pin female, shes about 4 years old now. She is a little weird lol. She can't be picked up at all. If you pick her up she screams...very loudly. You can't pet her because she is terrified of touch. She freaks out if your hand does touch her, she'll run away and scream sometimes, though she does circle back to still be near. She loves people, but it's like she has no idea how to proceed with people. She'll take treats from me fine and likes to walk into my lap when I'm sitting on the floor (never to relax and snuggle in but to stand very guarded) but the second I try to engage with her she's off like a rocket. Not sure hot to proceed with getting her to be comfortable with people. She does love treats lol.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Congrats on your new adoption!
It sounds like you are doing it right, and the fact that she is treat motivated will work in your favor. It is also a great sign that she is coming to you, even if she stays on guard.

Just take it slowly, since it is not easy to overcome yrs of neglect.

Hope you find this interesting.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Remember, as a puppy mill dog she recieved virtually no handling from or interaction with people. She doesn't really know how to act or what to expect. Give her space to come to you. Looking into resources for fearful dogs and building (positively) canine resilience should be good avenues to get started.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts