Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The first few pictures are of my long time childhood dog that recently passed away at almost 16 years old, but we never knew exactly what he was since my parents wouldn't let us do a DNA test. It always bugged me though that I didn't know exactly what he was. I always thought part Border Collie and possibly part Eskimo dog of some sort or Samoyed. He also looks like he could have had some Australian Shepherd mixed in as well. He has the coloring and ear shape of a Border Collie, a somewhat toned down version of a Samoyed or eskimo dog coat (He had a haircut in the 2nd and 3rd picture), and his facial features look like a mix of both. Besides his features, he had herding dog tendencies like nipping at heels when people ran around with him and he herded our cat back to the house when he got out one time. He was also extremely calm and laid back when he wasn't running around and very tolerant of all people and our cat, consistent with Samoyed demeanor. He didn't get along with female dogs but did like other male dogs for some reason. Size wise, he was a little bigger than a Border Collie, but the size of an average Samoyed (he was about 60 lbs, don't remember height) Any one have any educated guesses at what he might be (or if they think my own guesses sound accurate?)

Petboots5.jpg

PetBoots2.jpg

PetBoots1.jpg

This second dog is one that I am highly considering adopting from a local rescue so I don't know too much about him yet except that he is very friendly and tolerates cats so far. The shelter said he is probably a Redbone Coonhound, but I can tell that he's definitely not a purebred. He has the coloring of a Redbone, but I was thinking mixed with Pointer since he is doing the pointer stance in one picture, and his face doesn't look like a coonhound really-somewhat of a Beagle resemblence though. Any suggestions?

red.jpg

red2.jpg

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Some sort of herding breed like Border Collie or Aussie for the old one seems accurate. I do think you're right that a Nordic breed might be involved too. Samoyeds and Eskimos aren't crazy popular but maybe. Perhaps a dash of husky as well?

As for the new dog, Redbone is definitely in there I'd say. Pointer is possible, or maybe just some generic hound dog.

Reactions: Sabina88

·
Registered
3 Posts
The first looks like a german shepherd mix to me (they do come in a longer, shaggy coat variety) and the second is absolutely part redbone coonhound, not sure what else. Coonhounds are fantastic dogs.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.