Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I need help with crate training a french bulldog. shes 4 months and she seem very confused because she keep peeing everything even in her crate where she sleep I guess the reason is because the store I bought her from I believe they used to keep her in her crate all the time so she is used to soil and eat in the same place where she sleep. How can i change this behavior? how can I potty train her from scratch and how do I crate train her properly?

Sometimes she stay for 2 hrs without soiling, sometimes 3 hrs is fine too, but somethings she pee on the pad outside then as soon as i put her back she pee again after 10 minutes in the crate.

What do I have to do with her? its been 3 weeks since I got her but nothing worked yet.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
You need to move her out of the crate and into an area where you can leave the crate but also add a potty area. This will help you teach where to go.

·
Premium Member
10,820 Posts
I can sympathize with you. I got my terrier mix from a pet shop selling mixed breeds for the cost they had vetting them and with a crate and food thrown in. Like you I discovered that he had picked up some horrid potty habits and like your girl my boy would pee where I wanted to then come back in and pee on the floor.

Check out this sticky http://www.dogforum.com/housebreaking-puppies/house-training-how-tos-2135/ and watch the YouTube that Dawnben linked.

I also agree with giving up using the crate to help housetrain he. It's not doing any good and just reinforcing bad habits. Either leash her to you or put her in a small room or ex-pen, if you are using pee pads as her potty spot then you can set up a potty place in the expen or room and put the crate in their so that she gets used to the crate but doesn't soil in it.

In addition to the advice in the sticky and YouTube you are going to need to tailor the housetraining to her. With my boy that meant after he had peed once outside I had to leave him out for another 10 minutes or so to make sure he was actually finished. I also had to prevent all accidents in the house so that he developed the habit of going outside and broke the habit of going where ever he happened to be when he needed to go.

Put her on a schedule so that you know when she goes. Since you know she can go 2 hours without pottying start there then every few days increase the amount of time you wait to take her to her potty spot by around 10 minutes.

Reactions: Tess

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
She can be house trained the regular way (Rain's link) you are just going to have to take her outside much more often than normal, and keep rewarding her with a fabulous treat EVERY time she potties outside.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The way that I trained my Jack Russell was to have a designated area for the training mats preferably near a door and leave treats their so that the dog is familiarised with that area and then treat the puppy every time then use the training mat. After that slowly move the mat closer to the outside day by day to eventually having it outside.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I agree with jackdown..if she still has accidents in the crate, make sure you clean them throughly (enzymatic cleaner) so she wont be tempted to do again. Also, is the crate too big for her? i have a divider to put in our puppy's crate until she gets bigger. I've read somewhere that dogs are naturally den animals, they do not poop or pee where they eat and sleep so having said that, your puppy should be placed closer to the door with enough space for her to stand up, curl up, sit and turn around..if she has extra space, she will either poop or pee at the front then curl up at the back of the crate. Also, having a soiled training pad on the spot where you want her to do her business can help her associate the two together...reward her graciously when she goes in the right place.
Keep a close eye on her intake, if its hot outside and she tends to drink more water than usual..chances are she will pee more than usual and you'll need to take her out in shorter intervals.
Also, consider if she is feeling stressed out...puppies cant still hold on longer and they pee or poop frequently when they are stressed out. IF its still a problem, ask your vet about it...frequent peeing maybe a sign of a UTI (since she has been peeing and pooping inside, she's more exposed to them)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts