Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We got our dog from Pets Plus and he is a rescue from down South. They said he was a Collie Mix, but to me, he looks nothing like that. We have guessed hounds, mountain dogs, lab, maybe even Greyhound/lab?

He is about a year old now and about 40-50 pounds. Here are some pictures, I hope someone can help!

·
Registered
951 Posts
I too am not seeing collie. Of course mother could have been half collie half hound and looked very collie like but when mixed with another hound pups come out with very little collie look.

Your dog looks like a hound x gundog of some sort. Best guess would be pointer x black and tan coonhound

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks!

I guess he is just a mutt of them all. Maybe he is a coonhound-lab mixed with a pointer-collie.

I just never know what to say when I am asked what breed he is!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I definitely see Lab in there. He could be part collie/border collie because my lab is part border collie but does not have the coat type of one at all. Lab coat with some BC markings.

Possible Bluetick Coonhound?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Can I ask where down south he came from? We have a multitude of hunting-type dogs that are more or less popular depending on the region.

My immediate guess would be black & tan coonhound / Australian cattle dog mix. Maybe throw in some shepherd for height. Beautiful dog though!

·
Registered
547 Posts
I think half to 3/4 of your dog is a mix of various hound breeds, and the rest lab/collie mix.
He looks a lot like one my girl's brothers, but he isn't big enough to be him. Your dog is gorgeous btw.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts