Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I first noticed the issue about 2 weeks ago when I was brushing him so I went on a cleaning frenzy - washing the dog bed/pillows/blankets and vacuuming. Since then, I've been using a flea comb daily and vacuum/wash twice a week hoping the problem would go away but the bloody things are persistent!
I'm really hesitant on using flea collars/shampoo because of the harmful chemicals in them. I've spoken to my groomer about it and she uses frontline, but I've heard stories about that causing seizures in dogs.
I don't really know how to go about this. Open to advice and hearing about your experiences!

·
Registered
502 Posts
All meds can cause bad reactions, but the chances of him having a seizure from it are very low. All my dogs have been on frontline their whole lives and no bad side effects. If you don't do something to kill all the fleas now, they'll only get worse and harder to get rid of.

There are also pills they can take, but IMO they're more likely to cause bad reactions than topicals. Although I've used Program with no side effects and it has worked very well.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
I used to be a groomer and used frontline on a lot of dogs never had one that had any problems. The fleas are actually more of a health issue. Try to beef up his immune system also, fleas don't like healthy dogs.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I give my two Brewer's Yeast for Dogs for other reasons, but a great side effect is that fleas don't like it, and I've not had a flea on them, despite it apparently being a 'bad flea season' here. I'm not sure if it will stop an ongoing infestation, but it can prevent future ones.

Otherwise, my girl was given a shot of Advantage when we first got her as she was totally infested at the foster home, and that will take care of what you currently have.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
We tried Samantha on Nextgard, but she had a reaction to it, so she gets frontline, with no negative reaction. I don't apply it during the winter months, when fleas are much less likely to breed, but do use it on her, it we have a warm weather streak, and during the summer 'flea season'.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay thanks everyone!! I was probably just getting paranoid with all the internet horror stories. I'll give frontline a try :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts