Dog Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this sweetie on my porch about 3 weeks ago. I've posted her pictures on my facebook (which has over 1500 friends & family) I've also put flyers up at all our local stores and businesses near by with no luck on finding her owner!! I'm taking her to the vet next week to get a check up and see if she may have a chip.

I'm curious on what breed she is. She looks very similar to my purebred POM, but much tinier. Her hair is thinner and lays more flat besides her tail. Her tail and face are very similar to my POMs.. Her ears on the other hand are very large and stick straight up and face forward. She is very sweet and is more of a lap dog than my pom. She is mostly black with a white chest and has white around her feet.

I've narrowed it down to these breeds but unsure:

Long haired Chihuahua
Pomchi Mix
Papillion? or some type of mix? - just come accross that one today in search so very unlikely...

I'm going to find out for sure from the vet is she has been fixed if we decide to keep her, since my POM is a 3 year old male. :p They are inseparable! The play, eat and sleep together. :) Any help would be appreciated!

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes she did! I let my pom (Boobear) our pretty frequently to use the bathroom. He never leaves our yard unless to visit the neighbors when they are outside. I opened the door to let him in one day and there she was sitting right by the door with my Boobear. We live in a very rural area so I drove to all my nearest neighbors with her to see if she was theirs or knew the dog but noone knows who's she is! She really is a godsend never the less if no one steps forward to claim her. My 1 year old cat Binx was hit by a car the day before she wondered up and my POM and him did everything together just like they do. They also slept togther, ate side by side, play and wrestled.. :)

·
Super Moderator
3,746 Posts
What a cutie! :)

I think it's great that you've been searching for her owner. Have you contacted your local Animal Control yet? I'd also suggest posting something on Craigslist as well as contacting local vets.

Not so long ago, we helped out an older gentleman who lost two dogs. He wasn't particularly computer-savvy and a Facebook listing would have done him no good. He spent a lot of time driving around to all of the shelters in his area. Eventually, after two weeks, someone saw a sign that he had posted. He FINALLY found the dogs after quite an arduous search. :)

I'm just thinking that there might be a heartbroken person out there who just hasn't come across one of your flyers yet.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Did you report finding her to animal control or another government agency? You can also check with local rescues and Craigslist. I certainly hope her owners find her soon I bet they are worried sick.

Just a note make sure you check what your local laws are on finding a dog. If you don't follow the law they can charge you with theft.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
How many pounds? If she's on the larger side she could be a German spitz. Poms and German Spitz are two of those funny breeds that are technically the same breed in different proportion, so a lot of them look ambiguous and could be both a large Pom and a small spitz.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Well it could be she was abandoned. But just in case it isn't, I would do what the others have said if you haven't already.

I will have to agree with Kelly. She maybe one of the German Spitz, but aren't those rare?

·
Super Moderator
11,911 Posts
She's smaller than the OP's Pom so I kinda doubt German spitz.;)

Chasityclack, I think your on the right track with Pom or Pom/chi mix.:)
She sure is cute and thanks for helping her! Definitely get her to the vet to check for a microchip and also check with animals control and any shelters in the area.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
I'm thinking a Pomchi is a good guess. Her tail is very similar to my dog, who is probably a long hair chi or mix. Papillon is not likely--they are not that common, and are white-bodied. Don't know where you are, but in some parts of the country up to 40% of shelter dogs are Chihuahua or Chi mixes. Good luck--it sounds like however it turns out, she has a home waiting for her!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts