Dog Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, here's the deal, today I was walking my dog in the park (not a dog park), and a traffic police officer came to me, told me that I had to put a muzzle on my dog (there are no muzzle laws in my country, only dogs who has to wear muzzles are the ones with bite charges), and when I said that my dog isn't aggressive, he took his club out, hit me and my 8 month old boxer (who can now barely walk on her right hind leg cause of this) and as for me, I have a few fractured ribs. I know the law very well, and I know that I didn't do anything against it, I can't think of any reason on why he would do this (maybe cause I'm 20?). So anyway, I need some help in building a case against him. I never dealt with a law suit before, so I don't know much about this, so any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
101 Posts
First did you take your dog to the vet and did you go to the doctor yourself? 2ndly were there any witnesses to this and 3rd speak with a supervisor with the dept. to make a formal complaint against the officer. Have you ever had dealings with this officer before or do you know people who have?
I worked in law enforcement for many years, I would not in any way tolerate such behavior then again I wouldn't stop someone walking their dog either unless it was to make casual conversation and comment on they had a nice dog. ( Yes I defied the stereotype) Any police officer and I do mean any knows that to physically attack someone without just cause( defending yourself or someone) is grounds for dismissal or at the very least suspension. If a situation warrants a physical altercation then someone is going to jail, which clearly you did not. But anyhow you are going to have to have something from the vet and a doctor or you aren't going to get anywhere with it. As far as a law suit, suing should be a last resort see if the department or city leaders will do something first, then if they don't speak with an attorney first consultation is usually free they can better tell you what you can and cannot do.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I took her to the vet, and now her leg is in cast, and i went to the hospital myself , but my injuries ain't as bad. There are no witnesses except my mom, and a friend of mine who was walking his APBT. I haven't seen this officer before, and I have no idea why he attacked me (people passed him with Rottweilers and Mastiff types and he didn't do anything to them). The problem is the supervisor is quite corrupt as well. The only non corrupt person on the department I know is the head of the K-9 unit, whom I met once in the park. I'm not sure the doctor is willing to give me anything, but the vet is furious, and said he'd gladly give me anything I need against that cop. I'll go talk to a lawyer tomorrow, and see how I can do, anyway, thanks for the response :)

·
Registered
101 Posts
The fact is you have witnesses also did you happen to see his name tag? I know it's far fetched and chances could be very slim but there are people out there that impersonate officers for the purpose of doing things they shouldn't so it is worth looking into as well.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Wow, sounds very strange (and painful)!
Perhaps try contacting the media? I'm certain even the "corrupt" officers wouldn't want such a story being aired on the news.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@close2prfct: Yeah, I've seen his name, I don't think he was impersonating though, since he had his police car with him, and a partner waiting in the car, also his badge looked quite authentic.

@Clark: worth a shot, even though the media is the reason I get so much crap about my dog in the first place.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Personally i would have gone to the police straight away after seeing the vet and a doctor. You have proof of the injuries. Cops know for you to get these type of injuries and the cop that done it not arresting or charging you with anything done it out of discipline and he is the one that needs disciplining after his bad action. What a pr#$K.

I would also take it to the tv stations if you were too frightened to take it too the police and make them aware why you dont want to report the officer. Something will have to be done. There are cops higher up than the ones at just that station you are talking about. Bad news spreads far and they dont like it. Get your witnesses and do something about it.

Hope you are ok, and your poor dog. The bastard, that is discusting. :mad:

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I talked to a lawyer today (couldn't do so before cause of the holiday), we are suing him, and his supervisors, as they refused to do anything about it. The lawyer talked to the media, I'm not sure, but I think they are gonna be in court.

·
Registered
101 Posts
they will have a preliminary hearing be prepared for a lengthy court battle such is the way of taking anything to court. More than likely it will be a few months at the least before anything is actually settled. Good luck to ya and just so ya know if I'd been the supervisor the dept would be looking for a new officer :)

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks man.
Well, I didn't want to take it to court, but they left me no choice, something has to be done, especially against this officer, which turns out this isn't his first time beating a young man/teen and their dog.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Anytime but btw im a girl ha ha.
I spent the better part of 20 yrs in law enforcement it was my greatest passion to represent, uphold and honor the law. I took my job seriously and strived to be the best that I could be at it. I loved helping people and the satisfaction of taking the real bad people off the street was an awesome feeling but...I will be the first to admit there are a lot out there that don't do it for the right reasons and I will be the first to tell you I cannot stand a bad/dirty cop. They make me sick and go against everything I worked my whole adult life for.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry for that :p

Yeah, I actually wanted to be a police officer when I was younger (well, in the K-9 unit) but I long ago dropped that dream cause of the amount of corruption there is in my country.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.