Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new here and really need some help and advice.
I have a six month old basset boy, his training went well at the start. Now he is getting worse. At the moment he knows sit, paw, lie down, bed and roll over.

His behaviour has gotten really bad, he would rather bite and chew my hands instead of his toys even though we have got him loads of toys and encourage him to play with those instead. We have tried the
- Yelp
- Stop playing and turn away
- Put hands under arm pits and say no bite
- Timeouts

All these are to no avail, I don't know what else to do.

Also I understand he is a puppy and will want food all the time but he takes it to a new level, now he is getting the right amount of food which the vet agreed with. The vet also said he was an ideal weight. However he will literally look for food all day and I mean all day, he will eat anything, now I don't give him anything but his normal food but he will still eat everything and anything, Anything he can get his teeth on he will have, I've taken out of his mouth, tea bags, plastic, paper, plants you need it he will take it.

He has also now today destroyed my year and a half bonsai which I have grown from seed which I'm devastated about. Any chance he will get he would jump and our plates and take what he can get.

I love him to pieces but I'm losing a battle here and it's getting extremely frustrating, I feel bad for shouting and telling him off, what else can I do,

I just want a nice puppy who can enjoy playing and going for walks without the biting and eating everything.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
He's a puppy, and a hound at that - they're known for eating just about anything in reach!

First, manage. Pick things up so he can't get to them. It may seem like a pain, but at least you'll be sure to keep a clean house. ;)

Have you considered doing any training classes with him? Those can be very helpful and a lot of fun.

Additionally, you'll just have to be patient. Perfect dogs rarely just happen, and certainly not overnight. If you can get the basics down and be consistent it will come, in time. For now, try to have fun with a wild and crazy pup.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Well, he sounds like a very normal puppy to me. Which is to say, a total headache!! Puppies are a lot of work, and at six months, he is just beginning to become a teenager (AKA even more work). This is part of owning a young dog, and requires us to take a lot of deep breaths.

My dog, also part hound, is over a year and a half old and everything STILL goes straight into her mouth. She doesn't have hands, after all, so putting something in her mouth is one of her best ways to learn more about it. Plus, you never know when a random piece of carpet fuzz might turn out to be edible :eyeroll:. I make sure things are put away if I'm not available to supervise her closely, and spend a lot of time teaching her basic impulse control around food: http://www.dogforum.com/training-behavior-stickies/impulse-control-calmness-168218/

Biting at hands is also an impulse control issue, so be sure to check out the link above. Also, if you are occasionally responding to nipping/biting by shouting at your dog, stop now. Jumping/biting/nipping is something that can be reinforced by almost any kind of attention, including "negative" attention like yelling, scolding, or otherwise punishing a dog. You have to remove all reinforcement, which means not responding in any way. It also helps to teach the dog better ways to use his mouth. Lots of ideas in this thread: http://www.dogforum.com/training-behavior-stickies/biting-mouthing-nipping-168082/

1 - 3 of 3 Posts