Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We have a 10lbs JR X girl. Adopted her last year August. She's about 3 years / 10 months old, spayed, lively, no food problems since we got her.

I feed her Blue Buffalo for adult small breed. Tonight she suddenly threw up, a lot more than I expected to fit in her stomach. She's quiet now, resting, seems not to be feeling really sick at this time. I gave her a raw carrot before she threw up, she gets the organic ones as a treat and she did eat a little from it and it was all through her thrown up food.

Because she is so small, dehydration danger bothers me to no end. I free feed her but have taken her food off the ground. Water is still there. It's now almost 10.00 pm, the throwing up started about 2 hours ago and lasted about 45 minutes so 1 hour and 15 minutes not thrown up and I'm sure everything is gone from her stomach.

If anyone could give me advise about how to proceed with food or no food, water or no water, I would really appreciate it. Thank you so much in advance.

Milli.

I just noticed she is shivering. Not seen before and I am watching her like a hawk.

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
How many times did she throw up? Is she acting normally, ie bright and alert, normal activity? Are you sure she didn't ingest anything? Normal stools?

If she is acting normal now, I'd definitely leave her water down tonight. She should be fine without food for the night.

If she's acting "off" at all, give your vet a call.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She threw up in batches, about 5 times. Then she settled down and started to eat her carrot which I let her do but within 6, 7 minutes she threw that up also and I took her carrot away of course. She is lying down, allert when I call her but obviously worn out after the throwing up.

I covered her up losely and she stopped shivering. WHen I call her she is allert.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
She had normal stool this morning. She doesn't eat from the street. My hb had a pulled pork sandwich and gave her a piece of the meat.

Frantically thinking of anything else that happened today.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
About 7 o'clock or so we had a tug of war fight with a toy. After that she went out for a walk.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Just ran over to a friend for a business card of her vet.

We are snowbirds and stayed in FL until now and will go back to VT next week. I haven't been to a vet here for anything serious other than heartworm pills and I couldn't find the vet's information fast enough probably because I panicked.

She is utd on all her shots, from our vet in VT. Has been on heartworm all winter.

When I came back in the house she was very alert like normally and barked a few times and came running over to me.

She hasn't had any urge to eat or drink sofar.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very quiet through the night. She sleeps on our bed. I losely covered her up, it was a bit chilly over night. She slept in late and got off the bed wagging her tail, perky and all. We took her for a slightly shorter walk to not overdo it. When she got in the house she ate a few bites of her regular food and drank a few sips of water. That was at 9.00.

It's now 11.40 and 10 minutes ago I gave her a Tbs of her regular food, with a Tbs of broth that I had made. That all went down and she would have liked more but I thought that that's enough for now.

Around 1.00 or so, if this all stays down, I'll give her another Tbs of her food (she gets Blue Buffalo adult mini dry food) and a Tbs of broth. In a meantime her water stands ready for her. She does not act sick, is alert and perky. She perhaps sleeps a little more, but only a teeny tine bit if at all.

So, so far so good, at this moment I am not panicking. The vet wanted me to come in but that was after she ate and drank and after I mentioned she had eaten and drunk we decided to pospone it.

I am planning to cook some rice, but am not sure if that would be better for her than her regular food with a bit of broth?

Any ideas and suggestions are very much appreciated.
Thank you in advance.
Milli.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
12.00 am. Hubby just took her out on a slightly shorter walk and she had a normal stool.

Happy about that!!!

·
Registered
525 Posts
It sounds like she just had a short stomach upset like a kid might. Mollie gets those once in a while, we usually take her into the vet if it goes for more than a day, but otherwise we don't feed her until she seems to feel better and she's always fine. Great work! I can feel how happy you are through your posts. If she throws up again, I would take her to the vet.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The stomach episode is cleared up completely. Good stools, eating her good food and drinking. Thank you very much for your help!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.