Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 5 long years, we finally got another dog!!! We rescued a shih tzu mix from one of our shelters. Duffy was 5 - 6 months old when we brought him home on Sept. 1, 2015. We have crate trained him, however he is still not housebroken. I am lost as to what to do next and need some advice. Our yard is not fenced so we take him out on his leash and have a potty party when he goes along with a treat. Usually I take him out about every two hours and sooner after he eats. If I am busy doing something, he will potty in our living room even if I have just gone outside with him, I don't say a word to him and just clean it up and take him outside again. He has slept all night out of his crate for the past 3 months and has never had an accident. It's s like he doesn't know how to let me know when he needs to go outside. I taught him how to jump on the door and also tried the bells which scared him so I took the bells off. Look forward to your advice.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Sometimes it just takes a while for everything to click. Especially in a rescue dog when you don't know what they were used to doing before you. I would treat him like he was an 8 week old puppy. Never left unsupervised, you're either watching him like a hawk, he's tethered to you, or in his crate or playpen. He should be taken out every 1-2 hours, big fuss and high value treat within seconds of him doing his business, Out after naps, drinking water, eating, play and training sessions.

Some dogs will never let you know when they need to go out and just operate on the schedule you set for them.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts