Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 2 months ago we adopted a terrier mix who was said to be 7 months old. We also have an older mixed breed who is 17 and also another terrier mix who was adopted this past January, and said to be 2 years old. The advice I need is for the newest 7 month old pup, Molly. She is extremely active, really hyperactive. She is a jumper, a biter and is constantly chasing and nipping the 2 year old dog (Scruffy), and also our 17 year old (Frisky). She is in desperate need of manners, and all the yelling and forcing her to stop (which we really don't think we should be doing) is not helping at all. We need advice on how to settle her down and start obeying us. I'm sure would she be the only dog in the household we would not be having all the issues we are having. We have all sorts of bones and chew toys, but when she's done with those, she's off to chasing and tormenting the other 2 dogs. We need help to tell us how to do this right before it gets out of hand. She jumps up on chairs and tables, and is just a bundle of energy, which is being used in the wrong ways I feel.

PLEASE give us advice, short of obedience training, which might be the answer if all else fails.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
How about taking her to an obedience class?

How much exercise is she getting daily? And how much mental stimulation? Simply giving her chews and toys is not enough, you need to properly engage her mind so whether it's through trick training, obedience, scent work, playing with a flirt pole, some kind of dog sport.

Yelling at her obviously doesn't work and she's hyper because she's not getting enough constructive exercise, the more regular and appropriate exercise she gets the better so an hour of off leash running around and exploring on a walk as well as training sessions, playing with a treat dispensing toy, having a chew on a toy will all be releases for her energy. Once she is tired you should begin to see a difference in her behaviour in the house.

Your other dogs should be allowed separate time away from the younger dog, think about using baby gates to separate the dogs during quite time especially for the 17 year old dog.

Try teaching a settle command and teach her to rest in a bed or mat, begin teaching her to go to her mat and slowly build the time she is in a down stay on the mat. You can reward her for being quiet and settled, if she gets up to move during quiet time you can use a treat to lure her back to her bed and reward.

Be consistent, don't allow her to jump up one day and expect her not to the next. Instead of her running to you and jumping up, get her to sit and wait befor giving praise so you are not inadvertently rewarding her jumping up.

Look for a trainer in your area and enrole in an obedience class, trainers who use positive reinforcement only. Invest in a treat pouch and keep treats on you at all times. Up her exercise, both mental and physical.

Also what food is she currently on? Low quality foods are often filled with fillers and additives that can add to hyperactivity.

Reactions: PoppyKenna and Rain

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
I'd get her into a good, positive reinforcement based, obedience class. It's not for her, it's for you to learn how to communicate with her. Taking one did me a world of good back when I had my crazy, hyper, terrier mix.

Give her more exercise, the ones BusterBCsMom mentioned are great, flirt pole, running, biking, going to an appropriate off leash area, doggy day care a couple times a week, ball, frisbee. Dog sports like fly ball, agility, frisbee, and dock diving would also be great.

In addition to the exercise you are going to have to work on teaching her to be calm. In addition to the mat work that was mentioned you can do capturing calmness exercises. That's where every time you see her just laying down and relaxing you toss her a nice treat. If you just exercise her, and don't teach her to be calm, all you are doing is helping her build endurance and soon you will never be able to wear her out.

When training do so after you exercise her so that she's more able to concentrate, and keep the training sessions short, no more then 5 minutes or so, and aim for 3 or 4 training sessions per day.

Check out Kikopup on youtube, she has a few videos on teaching puppies and dogs to be calm.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts