Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just adopted an 8 year old English Mastiff who was severely abused and starved. The shelter managed to get him to gain over 25 lbs (from 52 up to 75 lbs) in a month, but he can stand to gain another 25-30 lbs. Since we took him home a few days ago he has been resistant to eating. I have tried two different types of dog food and also tried adding rice. He will eat only about 1 1/2 cups a day. I am afraid of him losing weight again. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Might be a good idea to talk to vet, I've heard a slow gain is important in some starvation cases.

·
Banned
1,404 Posts
Satin balls as a supplement to a healthier routine diet. I'd also up the exercise so it just doesn't end up all as fat on the dog. It's a reasonable short term fix for dogs which truly need some extra calories and weight gain.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
I would work with your Vet, making sure there are no medical issues that may need to be addressed. Barring that, probably a slow gain is better for him in the long run.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I would suggest the same thing visit a vet to know what's the problem and for you to have an idea on which dog food will help him gain some weight. You can also give him some vitamins, you can try true dog complete me omega supplement. I got mine on pet street mall and so far I'm seeing a good result as my paws continuously gain weight. BTW, the said vitamin was suggested by my vet, might as well consult yours to see if it will work.

·
Registered
70 Posts
My brother recently adopted a dog with a similar situation. His vet told him to mix a raw egg in with her food to help her gain weight, and so far it seems to be working well.

Definitely confirm with your vet, though!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts