Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband and I adopted a beautiful 5 year old, 80lb, lab/beagle (Labbe) from the Humane Society of GC at the end of October. His name is Guss.

When we first got him he seemed like a dream; such a good boy, obedient and shy. Then we introduced him to my BIL's 6 MO Labradoodle.(She couldn't hurt a fly and is always very submissive to him.) When they first met (in our home) he was aggressive, following her around, barking, ect. When he wanted to play...about an hour after she came around....he seemed awkward and would hide his paws under his chest. At first we thought he was just getting used to his new life and that he would get over it or that he was just a little funky.

After that when meeting new dogs he always acted the same way. He became aggressive when we would have people over/when people would come in to our house. Then he became angry at anyone walking the streets or even the mail truck.

I now realize that this change is because he recognized that our home was now his "territory".

I work from home but could not entertain him 24/7 and he became very bored about 3 months after we got him. He would constantly whine and want my attention. My husband and I decided to get another dog to keep him company thinking that is what he was used to.

We were going around from adoption place to adoption place looking for a dog that he would like and whose personality wouldn't offend Guss. He met a few other dogs in a neutral area and he was aggressive with them all. Finally we found Charlie (who was 10 weeks old). He was perfect. Sweet, a shelter dog, and most importantly, he got along with Guss!

It was a rough few days but ever since that first week with Charlie, Guss adored him. He lets Charlie bite his neck while playing, mouth his paws and tug on his ears and tail. They still can't get enough of playing and wrestling with each other.

It has gotten to the point now (8 months later) that Guss dislikes meeting ANY new dog and will bark and try and get at any dog (sometimes people) he sees. We can't figure out if he has been abused/attacked by another dog causing his distrust, if he was simply never introduced to dogs before or if he is just socially awkward! It is getting to the point where I cant walk him in public, I cant take him to the beach or have people come to the house and let him out when we are gone.

Im not sure he would take anything away from group training as he would be distracted and I think the root of a lot of the issues have to do with his "territory".

If anyone has any tips advice or help for Guss, that would be amazing! Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm sorry about your dog! I would reccomend contacting a trainer. A lot of dog trainers will come to your house to evaluate your dog and help you out.
But whatever you do, DO NOT submit to the aggression. If the dog is aggressive, make it very clear that you're not okay with that aggression and respond with a firm, "No."
If your dog becomes a biter, be sure to get a muzzle for when you go out in public. It'll give people sort of a warning to keep away from your dog and to look out.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts