Dog Forum banner

What would you do in the situation described?

• Challenge the so-called rescuer in small court

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Insist on picking up the puppy on your own terms

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Go along with the rescuer's terms and wait another week

Votes: 9 100.0%
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past month I've been counting down days until I can take my puppy home.
I gave a deposit to a "rescuer" that had a 3 week old litter. The agreement was that the puppies will receive their second round of shots at 9 weeks, and will be able to go home immediately after.

The puppies are 9 weeks this weekend, so I've been emailing and calling the place the whole week, with no response (it's 3 hours away, so I can't just go there in person any day. Otherwise, I certainly would).
I've made plans to pick up the dog this weekend, as first agreed.

Finally, I reached somebody on the phone today, and she said the puppies were a whole week late getting their first round of shots (no reason given, no apology either), so they can't be released until a week after the agreed upon time.

I offered to take care of the second round myself, not blaming them for the situation. The lady was adamant that the rescue center has to do it, or they can't release my dog.
But I just can't trust them any more! They don't return calls or emails, they were late on the first round of shots.... Where is the guarranttee they won't be even more late on the 2nd round???

I was very clear from the beginning that I want to pick up a puppy that is younger than 10 weeks, so I could give it best training and socialization. Now they are trying to make it impossible for me to get her until almost 11 weeks of age!

They have my money and didn't keep their end of the bargain so far.
I'm just really frustrated that I can't take care of the puppy that I feel is mine, and that is, seems like, not getting the best possible care right now.

How should I approach this??? Anyone knows if there are laws regarding rescue adoptions? This is in California.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I understand that you're excited to get this puppy home and start your life with your furry friend. That's very exciting!
But I think you need to cut this rescue some slack. They have other dogs to take care of besides your puppy and it sounds like they just fell behind schedule.
The reason they can't answer your emails on a dime is because they have dogs to feed, water and clean up after. They have dishes to wash, floors to sweep and wash and they probably have 100s of other emails to answer and phones to answer as well.
I don't mean to sound harsh, but realize that your puppy is 1 of probably 30 other dogs that are getting adopted and they're trying the best that they can to get all the right paper work in.
Rescues have a lot going on. Cut them some slack and relax, ok?

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I understand the impatience you're describing. I was supposed to pick my girl Sophie up at 10 weeks, but didn't actually get her for two extra weeks. First, one of the pups in her litter had parvo, so they held the whole litter an extra week to observe and make sure none of the others had it. Then Sophie scraped her eye on the kennel door, and got a corneal ulcer. They apologized for the accident, and held onto her an extra week. But they also sent home a bottle of medicine for it that my vet later told me was the best eye medicine available, and probably pretty expensive. Stuff happens, and I wasn't mad at the shelter for holding onto her a little longer.

But that didn't mean I wasn't antsy the extra two weeks, waiting on the ok to go pick her up. I'm sure the wait time that you didn't count on previously sucks, but trust me, it'll be worth it :)

·
Banned
7,625 Posts
The difference between a 9 week old pup and a 10 week old pup, socializaton wise, isn't exactly huge. Infact, its tiny. Many breeders won't release pups before 10 weeks of age period. I realize waiting an extra week sucks, but its hardly the end of the world by ANY stretch of the imagination. And a week's difference in getting the shots isn't a huge deal either....Infact having the pup slightly older to get the 2nd shot is healthier for the pup.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I understand the rescue centers are busy. Wouldn't that mean they would be relieved to have one less dog to take care of for a week?

They already have my money, and I'm not asking it back.

Also, I have an appoitment with my vet for the rest of the shots. This way they will for sure be on time.
Also, the pup will not get parvo or eye infections, as some of you mentioned, since she won't be in close proxemity with so many different animals.
Also, I work every other weekend, and the weekend they postponed the shots til is actually the one I work. So I won't have time to get the puppy used to the sittor, whereas if I got her this weekend, I'd have more time to spend with her and the sittor.

So, in terms of healthcare, safety, and adjusting to the new home, it seems to me I'd be acting in the puppy's best interest by picking her up at the originally scheduled 9 weeks.

I don't understand the logic of keeping her in the shelter in this case.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I didn't say your puppy would get parvo or an eye infection?? I said my dog did--when she was in a foster home, actually, and the eye problem she got on all her own, no other dogs needed. What I was saying was that I understand that you're impatient, and maybe a little put off that you have to wait longer than what was originally agreed to. But sometimes things happen, like shots getting put off a little longer, and that's just life. Shelters are busy, and yes I'm sure they'll be happy to have found a home for this pup, but that doesn't change the state of things right now. They probably have a policy about sending out dogs before the second round of shots--some shelters won't let you adopt until after the dog is altered, which could take months.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just think it's ironic how it's perfectly legal to take your (human) baby home against medical advice or refuse to give him / her any and all vaccinations (I'd never do that to my own baby, but I work in a birthing center & see folks do that), but it's such a huge deal to take a puppy home, even with every intention of giving her the best medical care.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Animal shelters and human hospitals are held to two different standards. Not to mention if you work in the animal field you come to make sure you send out animals with everything they might need right off the bat just in-case the adopter might not do it, this doesn't imply anything about you, this implies everything about the morons who don't take their animals to the vet when they get them. Too many people say "Oh, I'll do it myself!"... And never do.
Like I said in my last post, please relax. You will get your puppy when the shelter can make sure she has everything she needs to be healthy. They want your fuzz ball to be perfect for you. This is a gift. Say thank you when you go in!

Reactions: southerngirl

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
I just think it's ironic how it's perfectly legal to take your (human) baby home against medical advice or refuse to give him / her any and all vaccinations (I'd never do that to my own baby, but I work in a birthing center & see folks do that), but it's such a huge deal to take a puppy home, even with every intention of giving her the best medical care.

Actually, it's not legal to take babies home AMA. The hospital can and will get a restraining order preventing you from doing so. I do that at work from time to time.

Rescues do the best they can with little help and little money. Cut them some slack. I get that it's tough to wait for your new friend, but sometimes you have to.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
It sounds like the rescue is really interested in making sure the pups get the best head start in life. Since they arent willing to give you the pup to make more room and "be done with it" think about that. THEY CARE about the puppy.

SOOO many people do not follow through with puppy shots, just saying "I will, I wont forget" to a rescue isnt going to cut it. Do you know how many times they probably hear stuff like that?
-My ex co worker's puppy got parvo because she "forgot" she had a vet appointment scheduled and missed it and then didnt have "time" to reschedule.

It sounds like the pup is in a safe place, with people who care about its well being. Plus it gets extra time with its litter mates who will teach it SO much with the extra week as well.

Be patient and be GLAD that the rescue doesnt just want to "get rid of it" ASAP, they want to make sure it has the best head start in life possible. Sounds like a really great rescue.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well...
I DID take my puppy home yesterday!!!!! After some convincing arguments about being able to give her the 2nd (and 3rd, etc..) round of shots myself, which, of course, I will do.
Thanks all for participating.
Now onto the potty training and how-to-help-your-dog-and-cat-get-along forums:)

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
I have had a dog from a 8 week old litter and one from 12. The dog who stayed with their mom was completely bombproof. I probably worked HARDER to socialize the 8 week old and he is still more questionable than the other dog.

If the pup is still with the mom/litter, this is actually a blessing in disguise for you. Keep working on it, but don't think you've lost time. The dog is making bigger strides w/ the litter than with you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Like I said, she is home as of last night. Seems to be socializing without any help so far:)
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 14 of 14 Posts