Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I'm new here and I could use some advice. This year I had to put down my two dogs. Carter, a miniature Schnauzer who 15 years old and Nicki, a Chihuahua who was 12 years old. Nicki was my baby and I miss her everyday. I live alone and my house was so quiet without a dog, so I got a 2 months old Chiweenie, named Ruby. She's a good puppy. She sleeps pretty much though out the night. I get up once to take her outside. So I'm getting plenty of sleep which is great. Her potty training is hit or miss. The reason I'm posting is because I have so much anxiety since I got her.

I haven't had a new puppy in 12 years, so it is definitely an adjustment. I have days when I think I have made a mistake getting a puppy so soon after losing Nicki. Then other days, it is nice to have someone to care for. I don't know what to do. To be honest, I had to put Nicki down on a Tuesday and then I got Ruby on a Saturday. Very little time to grieve over my dog, however I think having Ruby has helped me in some way.

I hate feeling this way and I don't know how to change it. I did have these feelings when I got both Carter and Nicki. So I know feeling this way is normal, but what if I can't love Ruby like I did with Nicki or Carter? I guess I'm scared I made a big mistake that I can't take back. I'm also scared that I'm still missing my dog, Nicki, and that's why I'm feeling this way. I have anxiety and I'm on a medication for it but I'm at lost on what to do. Any advice would be really appreciated. Thank you!

·
Registered
306 Posts
Oh I know to some extent at least how you are feeling! We lost one of our 2 senior dogs in 2016 and decided this past February to get a puppy to keep our other senior dog company.

Both are getting along beautifully, the older being a spayed female and the pup being a male. Then we decided to get another puppy (female), because the male puppy had so much play in him, and he loved it when our son came over with his 2 pups.

As soon as we had this little female pup I thought/worried that we had made a terrible mistake. Starting from scratch with toilet training, sleeping at night...us being in our fifties....puppies are a lot of work!

It took me about a week to adjust to having this little one, and I love her now dearly, would not trade her for the world.

I think you will come to love your pup as well, not the same as you loved the other 2 dogs, as that will be impossible. Each dog is different, each relationship is different, but it will be unique and special to this pup alone!!!

If Ruby is adding to your quality of life then it was a good decision to add her to it. If it makes you sad imagining your days without her then you are good in keeping her in them. Your responsibility is to ensure you are happy, and your dog will be happy too. Make it your mission to create good moments each day for you and your pup!
However if you truly feel that you made a mistake, then it can be fixed! Find her a good home where she can have a happy life if it is not with you.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts