Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a two year old rescue bench English Setter, now for about 6 weeks. A big, sweet, very strong, active boy. I am about to install dog doors so he can come and go outside as he pleases. I bought the best, and perhaps one notch down, because I could see my dog quickly wearing out a lesser quality door in no time.

The two doors are a Carlson Pro Pets Wall Mount Royal Pet Door, Large and a PlexiDor Performance Pet Doors Large Wall Mount (which is the pricey top of the line). Both use saloon style, plexi doors.

My situation: I want to install one door from the kitchen, through an exterior wall into a porch. The second door will go through the wall of the porch outside. The porch has glass storm windows on it for our long winters, and then screens in the summer. The porch acts like a weather airlock in the winter, an important strategy folks use here for dog doors because our winters are so harsh. The door from the house to the porch has a storm door, and the door from the porch to outside has a large glass panel in the winter that is replaced with screen in the summer, so that is why I am using the wall units.

It is frigid here in our long winters (Vermont), that is why I sprung for these quality doors. . Also both doors lock, which is a useful feature. Anyone have any thoughts about which I should install house to porch, and which porch to outside? I am leaning Plexidor for the former, and Carlson for the latter. Maybe it is 6 of one.... but if anyone has experience or thoughts to share, love to hear.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Try to find a door somewhere, maybe a neighbor, to see if he will use it. Some dogs, like ours, apparently don't like the way it feels going over their head, neck and back, and won't use it. I installed a light one in our screen years ago, and only the neighbors cat will use it, but not our dog.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well both of these have saloon style doors. The folks who were his "foster rescue parents" said he learned to use their dog doors in a day. He's pretty smart... so I hope there will be no problem. Thanks for the good advice.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts