Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I need some advice from everyone please.

Back in March, there was a dog roaming in my neighborhood. He is a wire haired Chihuahua. I've had a couple people stop at my house to ask me if he was mine because I have a Rat Terrier (mixed I think) that looks just like him in color. For maybe 3 weeks, he's been on the streets and I would feed him. Then, finally, in early April, he came back to my house and he was sooooo skinny, so I took him in. I took him to the vet, he got all of his shots. I even got him neutered. He is sooo happy to live with me and play with my Rat Terrier, Nightingale and torture my cat. lol Until one day, I got a knock on my door. Here come the owners, whom, might I add, are kids! Anyway, I had to give him up to his owners on 5/12. I went over to their house and spoke to a man, whom I thought was their dad. He tells me that it's not "his" dog. -.- FYI, I live on a corner and anyone can see in my yard. There is also a street behind my house that everyone in the neighborhood has to drive on to get in and out of the neighborhood, so they can clearly see him in my yard. Why did it take them almost 2 months to see him?On 5/15, he was back on the streets and who's house did he come straight to? Mine. He was scratching at the door, so I let him in. His owners live a few houses away. I can see the back of their house from mine. He stayed with me until 5/22, then his owners came and got him again. One hour later, he was back, but this time, I did not let him in, which I felt soooo terrible about. The next day (today, 5/23), this morning, I heard him scratching on my door. Of course, I let him in. It's very clear that they do not care about him and they let him out whenever and comes to claim him whenever they feel like. I am an animal lover and there's no way I can do that to my fur babies.
I love this dog soooo much. It breaks my heart every time they come to get him. I am seeking advice. What do I do?

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
You should cal your local animal control or even police station and explain the situation. It might be difficult because he's legal property but it's also against most laws to let dogs roam loose like that. Hopefully the dog will be removed from them and you can adopt him.

Also, have you asked the family if they really want him? Maybe they find him annoying or a bother to care for and would allow you to keep him.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I went to their house and I spoke to a man, whom I thought was the kids' dad. He said that it's not his dog. :confused: I don't even know what goes on in that house with this poor dog. I've noticed that when I go to approach him and pick him up, he kind of submits as if I am going to hit him. :(
I am thinking to go offer them money, but I am afraid that they will say no and this will keep happening over and over. I am not giving up on this dog. I have come to loved him too much and this is why I am seeking advice from others cause I have no clue what to do, knowing that he has owners, but are neglecting him.

You should cal your local animal control or even police station and explain the situation. It might be difficult because he's legal property but it's also against most laws to let dogs roam loose like that. Hopefully the dog will be removed from them and you can adopt him.

Also, have you asked the family if they really want him? Maybe they find him annoying or a bother to care for and would allow you to keep him.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Many attorneys these days will give a free consult. In some places a dog who has not been claimed for 30 days (of course you have to advertise and find the owners) is presumed lost and may be adopted. You should get the facts, because neutering a dog that does not belong to you can have adverse consequences even though you were doing it to help. The attorney may advise making neglect reports to animal control.
One thing that is important is to get proof of ownership. Anyone can walk up to you and say 'that is my dog', whether it is in fact owned by that person or not.
Truly I suggest legal help so that you can possibly find a way to have this dog as you own or failing that, at least ensure it is in a good home.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
If you offer them money make sure and have them sign a document that says you are buying the dog from them for x amount of money. Then they can't come back to claim him. It gives you a bill of sale to protect you and the dog.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, when I spoke to the man, I told him that I took Frodo to the vet and he got all his shots and I even got him neutered. The man didn't seem to care, so I don't think I have anything to worry about at this point about that.
You are right about anyone claiming him. I wasn't thinking clearly at the time and wished I could have handled it a different way. :/ I emailed the Director of the Animal Control in my county. Hope she answers me back soon. If not, then I will have to call them.

Many attorneys these days will give a free consult. In some places a dog who has not been claimed for 30 days (of course you have to advertise and find the owners) is presumed lost and may be adopted. You should get the facts, because neutering a dog that does not belong to you can have adverse consequences even though you were doing it to help. The attorney may advise making neglect reports to animal control.
One thing that is important is to get proof of ownership. Anyone can walk up to you and say 'that is my dog', whether it is in fact owned by that person or not.
Truly I suggest legal help so that you can possibly find a way to have this dog as you own or failing that, at least ensure it is in a good home.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh, absolutely. There is no way I will give them money without some kind of proof. I've watched too much Court TV. :D

If you offer them money make sure and have them sign a document that says you are buying the dog from them for x amount of money. Then they can't come back to claim him. It gives you a bill of sale to protect you and the dog.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I don't have any advice to add really. But I just wanted to say I hope you get possession of this pup and please keep us updated!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi. I need some advice from everyone please.

Back in March, there was a dog roaming in my neighborhood. He is a wire haired Chihuahua. I've had a couple people stop at my house to ask me if he was mine because I have a Rat Terrier (mixed I think) that looks just like him in color. For maybe 3 weeks, he's been on the streets and I would feed him. Then, finally, in early April, he came back to my house and he was sooooo skinny, so I took him in. I took him to the vet, he got all of his shots. I even got him neutered. He is sooo happy to live with me and play with my Rat Terrier, Nightingale and torture my cat. lol Until one day, I got a knock on my door. Here come the owners, whom, might I add, are kids! Anyway, I had to give him up to his owners on 5/12. I went over to their house and spoke to a man, whom I thought was their dad. He tells me that it's not "his" dog. -.- FYI, I live on a corner and anyone can see in my yard. There is also a street behind my house that everyone in the neighborhood has to drive on to get in and out of the neighborhood, so they can clearly see him in my yard. Why did it take them almost 2 months to see him?On 5/15, he was back on the streets and who's house did he come straight to? Mine. He was scratching at the door, so I let him in. His owners live a few houses away. I can see the back of their house from mine. He stayed with me until 5/22, then his owners came and got him again. One hour later, he was back, but this time, I did not let him in, which I felt soooo terrible about. The next day (today, 5/23), this morning, I heard him scratching on my door. Of course, I let him in. It's very clear that they do not care about him and they let him out whenever and comes to claim him whenever they feel like. I am an animal lover and there's no way I can do that to my fur babies.
I love this dog soooo much. It breaks my heart every time they come to get him. I am seeking advice. What do I do?
My avatar photo is sweet little Frodo. :)

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I hope you are able to sort this out and are able to adopt him. Did the man have any proof of ownership at all?
Next time you see him I would take him to the shelter, if I remember correctly they have a set number of days for the owner to come get them and I think sometimes a fee (but I could be thinking of something else). That way you can tell them if no one comes and claims him (which it sounds like they probably wouldn't bother coming to get him given the lapse of time they let him roam and have no idea were he is) you will come and adopt him.
Hopefully you get a e-mail soon from animal control and you can hopefully make a plan to get him into a better permanent home with you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
He is actually with me right now. It didn't more than a day for him to be back on the street. There is a fee for them to go get him. $30 first time, $50 second time, and $75 third time. I don't anticipate them paying a fee to get that dog back they way they treat him. Should I take him to animal control and then see if they go get him? I'm not going to tell them anything though when they come knocking on my door. I'll just tell them he is not here and I haven't seen him.

I hope you are able to sort this out and are able to adopt him. Did the man have any proof of ownership at all?
Next time you see him I would take him to the shelter, if I remember correctly they have a set number of days for the owner to come get them and I think sometimes a fee (but I could be thinking of something else). That way you can tell them if no one comes and claims him (which it sounds like they probably wouldn't bother coming to get him given the lapse of time they let him roam and have no idea were he is) you will come and adopt him.
Hopefully you get a e-mail soon from animal control and you can hopefully make a plan to get him into a better permanent home with you.

·
Super Moderator
3,746 Posts
Yes, taking him to Animal Control is the best way to obtain legal ownership. Make sure that you put a commitment to adopt on him when you take him there so that you can adopt him when his stray hold is up in a few days. No, you don't need to tell your neighbor that you've taken the dog to the shelter. He can figure that out for himself.

·
Super Moderator
3,746 Posts
Also, this man will have to show some proof of ownership to reclaim the dog from the shelter. It sounds like he probably doesn't. I'm take the dog there this afternoon or tomorrow and then wait for his stray hold. And even if the man reclaims him from the shelter, you can go through the process again when the dog reappears in a few days.

Animal Control will also probably eventually pay a visit to his property to inspect his fence, and I doubt he'll make the necessary repairs.

I'm fairly confident that eventually this dog will be legally yours. Lucky dog!

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I agree with SusanLynn. And since you mentioned they have a increasing fee each time they will probably be less incentivized to want to go pick him up. Also if you go through animal control then adopt him, you and they will have proof of ownership and if any issues arise you don't have to give him up or back to your neighbors since he will legally be yours.

I'm not very knoladgable on the laws, but if he says its not his dog and kids came to pick him up (do you mean teens, young adults or children?) then does he still have the right to take the dog/can chickenlonglox not give him back (in the context of no proof of ownership)?

Either way I think its still a good idea to go through animal control as they have more authority should any issues arise.

Good luck

Reactions: chickenlonglox

·
Registered
189 Posts
I don't have any advice for you other than what the other commenters have already given. I really, really hope you get to adopt the dog! Either through talking to the man or getting it from the shelter.

I'm going to check back on this thread and hopefully will read some good news soon! :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I want to thank you all for your advice and support while I go through this ordeal. ::sigh::

I called the city's Animal Control and I took little Frodo yesterday afternoon. He is there for 7 days. The man that works there as the Director told me that they've had dealings with the owners before (good thing on my part). Apparently, they had another dog that they picked up and somehow, he recognized little Frodo. Hopefully, they won't come to pick him up and I get him back on Monday. :)

They don't have a fenced yard. The "dad" told me that they let him out, so it's not like he escapes, but then if he does escape, they never come and get him until they feel like it.

I did give the owners Frodo's rabies tag, but I have the Rabies paper and all other vet bills, so I can prove that he is under my care. They named him Scooby, but I named him Frodo and he is under that name with my Vet.

::sigh:: I'm just counting down the days and hoping that they don't go and get him, especially if they have to pay a fee and they'll also get cited for not having a leash on him.

Once I get him and they come knocking at my door again, I'll be relieved to tell them that they gave up their rights when they didn't go and pick him up and I have proof that he is now mine. Hopefully, they won't start trouble cause then I'll be calling the cops on them. They're just little kids. :mad:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If they do go and get him, I am positive that he will be back on the streets again and then, like you said, I'll keep taking him back to the shelter over and over until he is in my hands. I'm definitely not giving up on this little fella. I love him tooooo much. :) Will probably go visit him during the week. I'm sure he is scared, poor thing, but I had to do it and I don't feel bad one bit.

Also, this man will have to show some proof of ownership to reclaim the dog from the shelter. It sounds like he probably doesn't. I'm take the dog there this afternoon or tomorrow and then wait for his stray hold. And even if the man reclaims him from the shelter, you can go through the process again when the dog reappears in a few days.

Animal Control will also probably eventually pay a visit to his property to inspect his fence, and I doubt he'll make the necessary repairs.

I'm fairly confident that eventually this dog will be legally yours. Lucky dog!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts