Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a 2 year old chocolate lab(I'm guessing) Kota who is my baby. He goes to work with me and pretty much everywhere else too. I have owned him since he was maybe 4 or 5 weeks old when I found him alone I am guessing abandoned in my friends field and because I have had him so long he is attached. Like follow me into the shower, need to be seeing me, or at least within a few feet of me at all times. Now he has finally calmed down enough energy wise that I am considering getting another dog. I am pretty settled on an mini australian shepherd as my next breed but I am slightly concerned how Kota will react to another dog being added to our home. He does fine with the dogs at work and when I pet sit besides being a little clingier than even usual lol but that is obviously not full time so I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with adding another dog into their home already owning a complete velcro dog or even if you don't if you think it is a good idea or have any advice? I would love having another dog and have the ideal job where my dogs can/ could come with me but I do not want to upset the balance in my house nor make Kota miserable. Thanks in advance for responding. :)

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Well from what you've said Kota gets along well with other dogs, so I wouldn't worry about that too much, depending on the behavior of the other dog. However, considering his clinginess, I don't think it's the best idea to get another dog that might be prone to anxiety and emotional instability like Mini Aussies are. Were you looking to get a puppy? I think if you do, you should see how Kota behaves with a puppy. Dogs can react differently to puppies as they do adult dogs. If you do have your heart set on them though, you'll have to work hard to find a really good breeder because Mini Aussies are a "new" fad breed that are now being bred haphazardly.

However I will add that it sounds like aside from concerns about getting another dog, you should try to address Kota's anxiety. If he feels the need to be that close to you ALL the time, that's indicative of some serious emotional distress. You said you bring him to work, but how does he act when he is home alone? Or if you ever left him with someone else? It makes sense that a dog who was taken from his mom and siblings so early would have problems, but I think it's important to try and alleviate him (and you!) from that stress he might be feeling. And if I'm making a mountain out of a molehill just say so!

Reactions: Sabina88

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well from what you've said Kota gets along well with other dogs, so I wouldn't worry about that too much, depending on the behavior of the other dog. However, considering his clinginess, I don't think it's the best idea to get another dog that might be prone to anxiety and emotional instability like Mini Aussies are. Were you looking to get a puppy? I think if you do, you should see how Kota behaves with a puppy. Dogs can react differently to puppies as they do adult dogs. If you do have your heart set on them though, you'll have to work hard to find a really good breeder because Mini Aussies are a "new" fad breed that are now being bred haphazardly.

However I will add that it sounds like aside from concerns about getting another dog, you should try to address Kota's anxiety. If he feels the need to be that close to you ALL the time, that's indicative of some serious emotional distress. You said you bring him to work, but how does he act when he is home alone? Or if you ever left him with someone else? It makes sense that a dog who was taken from his mom and siblings so early would have problems, but I think it's important to try and alleviate him (and you!) from that stress he might be feeling. And if I'm making a mountain out of a molehill just say so!
Thanks for the response! I have a breeder in mind that one of our clients recommended and has gotten her dogs from so no worries there. :) I do not mind another dog getting attached to me but would you say adding a dog that is known for it's "velcroness" to an already attached dog is not wise? As far as puppies go I think he is a bit confused by them and their size lol but has gotten a lot better at being gentle with them the older he gets. I do not think there is a huge issue with his anxiety although correct me if you think there is. I can leave him alone no problem at my place. He does not destroy anything and will not go in the house at all. I have only had one incident with leaving him with someone while on vacation and there were some other circumstances involved there. She left him alone for 24+ hours while work men(he is scared of men but will warm up which I can only attribute to not being around men very much) came to work on her apartment. Needless to say she does not watch him anymore if I go out of town. It is just when he is with me that he is so attached. I am not sure if that is bad or not or what he would be stressed about?

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Ok, Kota's anxiety does not sound as bad as I assumed. When you said things like you always take him to work and he even needs to come in the bathroom, I was assuming that was because he was destroying things or scratching the door until his paws bled or something. It does sound like he's just very clingy and not er, well, in the "mentally ill" category! I think it's also different if your dog is let alone with someone. Many dogs can be anxious or not act themselves when owners are away, especially if they're not used to that. And considering Kota's difficult start in life, he sounds a lot less crazy than other dogs in his situation may be!

Personally there's nothing you've said about your lifestyle, dog or even breeder choice that makes me think this is a bad idea. Just make sure Kota and the puppy get separate time with you when you bring him/her into your life, and make sure they're first introduced on neutral ground before they go home. And in terms of another clingy dog...well, depending on the dogs' personalities, there's potential for some resource guarding of the owner is possible, but really it might also be stressful for you. All in all I think this is a situation that has a lot of potential to turn out just fine. But like any time you ever bring a new dog into the home, it's a crap shoot.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts