Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up Leeloo 3 days ago from a local shelter. She is terrified of being picked up. She doesn't mind once held but cowers, runs, whines, and pees when you try to pick her up. She has also been holding her pee and poop for long periods of time. Right now it has been 7 hours since her last BM, which was in the kitchen... I sat outside with her and walked her for two hours and she still didn't go. I know she has to by now. She ate a whole bowl full and drunk a lot of water, took two naps and still no BM. At this point I wouldn't care if it was an accident within the house. What could I do to make her more comfortable to go? I've tried praising and treats but she wont take treats from my hand and my praising sends her running.... :confused:

·
Registered
434 Posts
She was found in a barn. That she doesn't chase cars and isn't aggressive.
Heartbreaking. There's no telling what she's been through. :(

I was thinking about someone else when I began this post. I think once the dog gets more comfortable with you, the dog will approach you, but until then, maybe not pick her up and give her some time to come to realize that you won't harm her.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
For now unless you need to, I wouldn't try picking her up. You've only had her for three days, being in a new house with new people can be very stressfull for a dog, especially if there a more fearfull or nervous dog to begin with, it can take awhile for her to really settle in a be comfortable. For now your best bet is to just be patient, give her time and space and let her go at her own pace.
Try dropping (or handing if she's comfortable) treats for her through out the day helping to create a positive asotation with you.
Sometimes activity can help get things moving along in the bathroom department. But it part of it could be that she's just stressed/nervous at the moment.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts