Dog Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Banned
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a short hair, double coat Dog that a week ago started getting in his underfur and blowing coat. I brush him every day and I use a shedding blade 2 or 3 times a week so the shedding is as under control as it's going to get.

The reason I am asking this question is because I allow my Dog on the furniture in my house and he leaves his hair behind when he moves. I want to get a battery powered vacuum cleaner to use to clean off my furniture. I have looked at small vacuum cleaners in the stores and there appear to be 2 types. The snout type ones like the Dust Buster and the rotating brush ones like the Dirt Devil. I realize I am asking for an opinion but which would seem better for vacuuming up dog hair from furniture? I have a fabric couch, a fabric recliner, a few small area rugs (my house has Terrazzo Tiled floors), and I also want to be able to vacuum off the bedspread in my bedroom.

Thoughts are appreciated.

· Registered
779 Posts
In my experience nothing will address all surfaces you mention. A blunt snout vacuum is good for firm smooth surfaces like tile, under your couch cushions, or leather. A rotating brush is better for textured surfaces like velveteen or boucle; sometimes the extra oomph of a brush is needed to loosen hair from clingy surfaces. A lint brush is best for duvet covers, as any kind of vacuum tends to suck up the fabric and choke on it. Use a textured lint brush rather than the type with sticky tape.

· Registered
138 Posts
More expensive, but least time consuming method: hard floors and leather furniture! Brush it off with your hand (or hand broom), auto-set the roomba, and and go about your merry way!

Seriously though - I've found that once you've had dogs long enough - you realize that nothing is ever going to stop the endless dog hair. I could (and have) wiped off furniture and surfaces, and vacuumed 2-3x a day... and would still end up finding dog hair in every food item I made 🙄. Dog hair is now just like an unwanted topping I pick off my food (like olives on pizza 😖)... I just pick it off, set it to the side, shrug, and move on with my day 🤪

Most dog people who visit wont expect you to have a house free of dog hair... and the people who still do mind will stop showing up... but who wants those judgemental freaks around anyway? When given the option between judgy people and my sweet lil' pups, doggies win hands down!

... And yes - I do actually have hard floors, leather furniture, and 2 roombas 😆

· Registered
1,987 Posts
Depends on if your dog's hair is fine or wiry? For fine hair, it really tends to stick to fabric, so I'd definitely recommend a rotating brush head. Wiry hair sometimes likes to poke into fabric and get stuck, so a nozzle type might be better for picking up hair in a pinch.

· Registered
4 Posts
I have a short hair, double coat Dog that a week ago started getting in his underfur and blowing coat. I brush him every day and I use a shedding blade 2 or 3 times a week so the shedding is as under control as it's going to get.

The reason I am asking this question is because I allow my Dog on the furniture in my house and he leaves his hair behind when he moves. I want to get a battery powered vacuum cleaner to use to clean off my furniture. I have looked at small vacuum cleaners in the stores and there appear to be 2 types. The snout type ones like the Dust Buster and the rotating brush ones like the Dirt Devil. I realize I am asking for an opinion but which would seem better for vacuuming up dog hair from furniture? I have a fabric couch, a fabric recliner, a few small area rugs (my house has Terrazzo Tiled floors), and I also want to be able to vacuum off the bedspread in my bedroom.

Thoughts are appreciated.
After vacuuming up the dog hair, there are a few additional steps to take to make sure all the fur is removed from your furniture.

First, use a lint brush or roller to remove any remaining fur. This should pick up any of the fur that was missed by the vacuum cleaner. If you do not have a lint brush, a damp sponge can also be used.

To remove any pet odor that may have been left behind, sprinkle baking soda on the furniture and let it sit for several hours before vacuuming it up. Baking soda is a natural deodorizer that will help to eliminate odors without leaving any harsh chemical residues.

To further protect the furniture from pet hair, you can use a fabric protector spray. This will help to repel fur and make it easier to clean up in the future. Make sure to test this out on a small patch of your furniture first before spraying all over.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts