Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Hoping someone can help please.

I have a 3.5 year old male shih tzu who has had no behavioural problems and likes other dogs.

We have just got an 8 week old female shih tzu pup. As soon as we introduced them our older dog was fearful and backed away. I have read this is normal so haven't forced him to interact and have made sure he gets lots of attention and one on one time. It's only been 2 days so still early on but this evening our older dog started growling at the pup and snapped at it when it came within half a metre of him.

I could understand this behaviour if the pup was annoying him, climbing all over him etc but the pup has been really good and hasn't gone near him. I think she's just taken his lead and is ignoring him right back! But when she walks within sniffing distance of him he either growls or backs off.

The dogs are fed in different areas and sleep in different places. The pup is pretty quiet and really well behaved.

Has anyone experienced this and got any advice? It's breaking my heart seeing my dog like this, it's the last thing we wanted for him.

Thanks

Jen

·
Registered
871 Posts
I went through much of the same thing!

My boyfriend has a 5 year old chow that is weird with strange dogs but warms up eventually. I spent the first night I brought my puppy home sobbing because Kota had gone after to attack her several times. Aayla was a good puppy, she didn't jump on him or bite him at all. Yet he would lunge and growl at her when she had her back turned. I almost brought her back to the breeder in fear that Kota would hurt her.

I have had Aayla for four weeks now and let me tell you. She jumps all over Kota, bites his face, tackles him while he is sleeping and he tolerates it. Sometimes he even does play with her but he isn't much of a player anyways. Every once in a while he gives her the 'knock it off' growl and bite. Yet that is appropriate.

I kept them separated for about two weeks, making sure that either Kota was outside when she was loose, inside when she was outside or if they both were in the puppy was on a leash. Sometimes if she was sleeping he would sniff her and he would get a treat. Sometimes while they both were awake I'd have them both on a leash and being within proximity of each other meant he got treats. It was a long process we were very careful with but in the end it worked. Not all dogs like puppies but if your dog likes other dogs there is a good chance that they will warm up to each other.

Take a deep breath, keep the separate until they both seem to settle and hopefully it will work out. Give it time! I didn't notice any changes for at least a full week.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts