Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELLO, TODAY IS DAISY'S 10TH DAY AFTER SPAY. THE VET SAID WE COULD REMOVE HER E-COLLAR TODAY. HER INCISION HAD WHAT LOOKED LIKE A SCAB OVER HER INCISION. WELL WE REMOVED HER COLLAR AND NOW SHE LICKED OFF THE SCAB! I THOUGHT IT WAS OKAY TO REMOVE!! ANYHOW, SHE HAS BEEN ACTING FINE BUT STILL WORRIED. SHE HAS NOT STAPLES OR STITCHES. SHE IS A MALTIPOO, AND IS STILL A PUP. ALTHOUGH THE INCISION LOOKS GAPING, THERE IS NO BLEEDING, IT LOOKS LIKE WHEN YOU PEEL OFF A SCAB AND THERE IS RAW SKIN. THE VET NEVER PICKS UP THE PHONE AND THEY DONT GET BACK TO ME, SHOULD I STILL TAKE HER IN OR IS THIS NORMAL? MY FIRST PUP SPAY:confused:

Attachments

·
Registered
126 Posts
My dog was just spayed 3 days ago, so I can't speak to the incision looking on track. I will say though, that I would find a new vet. If you have called and no one is picking up or getting back to you I would find that very unprofessional and could pose a danger to your animals. My vet is 24 hours a day, and they always answer when I call.

I hope your lil pup is ok.

·
Registered
761 Posts
It does not look ok. Go to your vet or find a new one. Some simple thoughts to keep in mind with incisions are R=redness, E=edema (swelling), E=ecchymosis (bruising or hematoma forming) D=drainage (fluid coming out of the incision, is it bloody, pussy, clear fluid), A= approximation (are the edges together). So the ones you must be really worried about with your girl would be drainage, approximation and drainage. So her wound edges are NOT anywhere near together. That itself is a portal for infection. With any drainage (and it looks really wet in the pic), it will make a slide (if you will) for bacteria to go right into the wound. Put the collar back on and don't take it off until you've seen a vet.

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
Welcome to the forum...
I would put the collar back on her so she does not irritate it more. Is she on any antibiotics? If not I would have a vet check it out and get some.

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
Not normal. Looks like she has been licking. Have the vet re-check. Put the cone back on her head.

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Ive had my female spayed in march and her wound didnt look like that at all! E collar back on and vet visit even find a new vet to treat her if they wont answer phone! Sorry but that isnt normal at all. I have pics of Jessie's wound on my pc somewhere and if i find it tonight will post it so you know what it should look like.

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
here are Jessie pics 2nd was at odd angle but you can see the big difference in apperance to your dogs spay incision. after stitches are out it should be a neat line with skin fully closed

Attachments

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
that was 4 days after spay

1 - 9 of 9 Posts