Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My partner and I live in London in an apartment and both work full-time.

We are thinking of getting a miniature wirehaired dachshund and have given it a lot of thought. we know it's a huge responsibility but want a dog in our lives so much!

Our main concern is leaving the puppy alone while at work. We have done a lot of research and have a plan of action but I wanted to ask everyone's thughts on whether they think the following is acceptable for a puppy? we will be getting her at 10 weeks old.

First of all, we are both going to take 3 weeks off work when we first get the pup to help her settle in our home, bond with her and crate train her. during this 3 weeks we are going to gradually leave her alone for a little longer each time (nipping to the shop for ten minutes, etc.). We want to try and lengthen this time gradually so she is happy and comfortable and relaxed in her crate.

When we need to go back to work, I will start by doing flexi hours for a few months so I can be back home by 5.15pm. the pups day will look as follows:

6.45-7.15- she will be taken out for a 30 minute walk by me and fed, relieve herself etc

8.45-9.00- my partner will take her out to relieve herself before leaving for work at 9.00

9.00-12.00- she will be home alone in her crate (after being fed and exercised so hopefully she will be nice and relaxed). We will leave her with some treats and toys and leave the radio on, and have also downloaded an iphone app so can keep an eye on her.

12.00-14.00- Dog walker will take her for a walk, let her relieve herself and get some love and attention, then take her home and play with her, let her relieve herself again before putting her back in the crate

14.00-17.15- she will be home alone in the crate with toys/ treat

17.15 onwards- I will arrive home and my partner shortly after, we will spend the evening with her playing and taking her for a nice long walk etc.

This would be the pups routine every Monday-Friday and then we would spend all weekend with her, of course.

We will also take her to puppy class once/ twice a week in the evenings.

... I really need everyone's opinions on whether this is ok for a pup please? Once she is a year old we would reduce the dog walker to one hour.

·
Registered
453 Posts
In general, I think your plan is fine. A really young puppy will have very little in the way of bladder control until he/she is a few months old, so the times where the pup is alone for more than an hour or two, you may find an accident in the crate at least at first. As the pup gets older, it will be able to wait longer periods of time. In general, as the pup grows, you'll be able to leave it for longer periods with no problem and not need as much of the dog walker's time either.

The best advice I can offer you is don't expect too much right away. Having a plan is fantastic and being able to stay home for the first three weeks is really fantastic! But also try to retain some flexibility because things don't always go the way you might expect -- puppies are great reminders of that! Enjoy your new little one :)

·
Banned
1,404 Posts
Sounds reasonable but maybe you could alter this " we are both going to take 3 weeks off work when we first get the pup to help her settle in our home, bond with her..." Maybe instead of both of you taking the same 3 weeks off, stagger the three weeks so it becomes 6 weeks.

I applaud you for putting ample thought and consideration into how best you can raise your dog from the very first day. Any and all of the efforts you make in the beginning will pay huge dividends down the road as your pup matures and enjoys the comforts and considerations you have meticulously planned.

It's refreshing to hear people such as yourself put the proper emphasis and priority on the privilege of having a dog. Too many just throw them in a crate and leave them by themselves for all too long. I have a suspicion the two of you will make wonderful companions for your pending pup.

Go get your pup and enjoy !!!

·
Registered
347 Posts
Schedule looks good to me too. I would echo @DriveDog about not taking the 3 weeks all at the same time. I would imagine that you guys will want to spend some time together during your time off so while going with 6 weeks would be ideal maybe you can stagger it a week or two, so the pup is getting 4-5 weeks with at least 1 of you around.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts